mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Niner WFO vs Ibis Mojo HD (650B Conversion). HELP!!!

Hi everyone,
    I'm planning on buying a 2nd bike. I currently have a Niner Jet 9RDO set up as a light weight cross country bike. I want to have a 2nd bike that can rip technical descents yet climb comfortably and I've narrowed my search to the Niner WFO and Ibis Mojo HD (converted to 650B).

Anyone have any opinions on these two bikes?

mtbr member
    The wfo is a pig it is extremely heavy, but it offers an excellent ride it is very plush, with that said it is not going to be a very playful bike with the larger wheels it will be a rocket only focused on going fast, if you point it down a line it will roll over everything in its path. As for the ibis it is a lighter bike and will be more playful but it will not roll over stuff as easily but then again I have only ridden the 26in mojo hd so I am not sure about the 650b, with anything you choose you will be happy both great bikes. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a WFO set up with Manitou Dorado Fork. It is a great chunky trail bike. It climbs very well although it is slightly heavier than smaller bikes. The downhill on it is superb.

I ride with folks on 26 HD's. Also great bikes. Cant go wrong with either one.

I do like the 29 inch wheels though for my type of riding after coming off years on 26 er's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi Crazybeach and Sidehiller1
    Thank you both for your input. Now that I think about it, I may go with the Mojo HD just because most of the trails here in Hong Kong have very tight turns and not too many open straight lines descents. I will need something nimble and agile.

mtbr member
    I would also suggest looking at something like a Banshee Rune, it is actually designed to run either 26 or 650B with interchangeable dropouts.

T.W.O.
    I went thru similar decision last year, I tested many bikes and ended up with the HD. My choices were Nomad C, WFO, Firebird, and the top choice was RFX but Turner shelved it. I sold my Rip9 while waiting for the WFO, originally Chris announced that WFO would be a 6.5" travel so I was pretty excited about it but it turned out to be 5.5", anyways I passed on the WFO.

I think my HD set up is the most versatile bike in my stable, I have 2 wheelset 26 and 650b, a limbo chip, and 2 shocks so it can be 140 or 160mm, and either wheel size. 650b set up feels a bit taller than the 26 but it's not a bad thing and the feeling disappears after a few corners. It's as nimble as the 26 but feel plusher.

There's nothing wrong with the Rip9 but I just don't ride it the same way I do the smaller wheel. It's a different kind of fun, think rally car VS buggy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for all your suggestions. In the end, I think I'm going to go for the Mojo HD. Since I've already got a Niner and I'm looking for something nimble and lightweight, I think the Mojo is the best option for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Oh crap. Just when I had my mind made up, Specialized comes out with an Enduro 29er!! Now what???

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You said your trails are tight and twisty. If you don't want to fight your bike and just have fun, you want a 26" or 27".