mtbr member
    Sep 2013

newbie with questions and asking for imput

Ok im new to biking again since when I rode as a kid. I bought a used mongoose hatchet. To me the bike feels good I read alot of reviews but dont know what your talking bout to form an opinion. Anyway im doin it to get back in shape a lil. My questions is my rear sprocket is bent and its the biggest one so low gear. I really wont need it that much but for future repair is this a free thingy or casset type. Also my riding environment will be mostly dirt roads rough pavement and occasional trips to my local wildlife management area would i benefit if I convert to a 1/9 gear set up? I also have trigger shifters from another bike will they just interchange. And modification I should make to make it more suitable for my riding environment. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Most bikes these days have cassettes, but some of the cheaper 7-speed hubs are still freewheels. You might want to take your bike in to a shop or coop and talk to a knowledgable mechanic to get it fixed right. Same with your shifters. If they are the make as your derailuers (i.e. Shimano or SRAM) and the same number of gears, they should work fine. But check with a mechanic to be sure. Once your bike is up and running, don't worry about upgrades yet. Just ride and enjoy. Once you've got some seat time, you'll know what changes you want to make. The one exception is tires.If your current tires are very knobby, you might do better with semi-slicks or low knobbed tires if you sticking to dirt roads and smooth trails.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er