mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New Trek Superfly 100 SL - Frustrated and Confused

I just bought a new 2013 Trek Superfly 100 SL, upgrading from an Access XCL 29r (Performance brand hardtail.) I have taken it on a couple of rides and I loved it. It FELT very agile, fast and comfortable. It handled the technical sections of the trails very well. And I was able to climb technical sections which usually give me trouble much easier. I was very excited, until I finished my ride and checked MapMyRide on my phone. I was SLOW! Way slow! I was expecting a little bit of a slow down because it is a new bike and I'm unfamiliar with it, but a full 1mph over a 12 mile ride? Other test rides on demo bikes, i have been off only .3 or .5mph, Seems crazy because the data is the data, but my feeling is very much different from what the data says. What's going on? Has anyone had a similar experience? Will my times really come back up that much? I'm frustrated that I finally upgraded to a really nice bike only to go way backwards on what I've been building up.

AZ
    banned
    Its a moving target, results differ day to day. Get used to the new ride and hit it on a good day and watch the P.R.'s start to fall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    OK, cooler heads prevailed. Fine tuned the suspension, added longer bars, shorter stem. I don't think those things made me any faster, but adjusted the fit to where I like it better. Just some time on the bike I guess made the difference. Now back up to where I should be with the added benefit of not getting beat up by a hardtail. The difference is that next day I'm ready to go again where I used to need a day for my aching bones to readjust.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    what a strava junky ahahahahahaha theyre worthless, go by how you feel not by data.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Don't even have strava. Mountain Biking is fun. Going fast is funner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought the Superfly FS 8 this summer and absolutely love it. After reading how 'fast' it is I took it out on one of the trails I usually ride my hardtail on and just 'flew' through the whole ride. It was awesome and I came away with the impression that yes this is a very fast bike but also that I must be in great shape. I had just ridden the same trail a day or two earlier on my hardtail and hadn't ridden it very well so thought the Superfly was the telling difference. Anyway long story short I rode the same trail a couple of days later and the bike felt like a super slug. I was slow, lethargic and lacking in energy. So much for the new bike and my great fitness levels! So it's a day to day proposition for me. Some days I feel great and really hammer the trails, other days I lack energy and it's hard work regardless of which bike I'm riding. I use Map My Ride just to measure the length of the trails I ride but once I've measured them once I don't bother with it. I know that on a good day I love both my bikes and could care less which one I'm faster on. The Superfly is better on the more technical rides and I feel less beat up at the end but the hardtail is a lot of fun too.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

ZERO Frustration - All LOVE...

Guys, a FS 29er XC race bike like the Superfly 100 requires fitness levels ABOVE your average trail rider. The bike is optimized to go fast, up and down. Some days, I blow away my personal best times......some days I don't(recovery/tempo rides).

Mine is built up at 22.9 pounds, and easily handles all-day, trail epics with aplomb. It may have just 4 inches of travel.....but I keep up on the downs with 5.5/6-inch travel, Trail Bikes!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"