mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New to the sport, advice appreciated!

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into the sport, and need some help picking a bike out - way too many choices for an uneducated beginner!

A little background- I'm 21 yrs old, 5'11", 185 lb. Budgeted around $1500 (I could swing a little more if necessary). I grew up racing motocross, but due to some MX induced injuries in the family I may have to switch sports for a little while... figured this was the next best thing

I'm not quite sure what type of riding I will be doing. I'm torn between downhill (I would LOVE to race downhill, but it seems like these events are few and far between...) and trails/woods etc. I don't mind jumps, so I think a full suspension bike might suit me best.

So - any input on some decent bikes in my price range would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No one?

mtbr member
    Give us time. We were probably sleeping.

You should probably visit a few bike shops and look in person at what they have available. The plethora of options is such that you'll end up getting a laundry list of options on this thread.

Full-suspension is tough at $1500. And the minute you mention "downhill" and "jumps", the price goes up dramatically. Offhand, I can't think of a good downhill or "all mountain" bike for only $1500.

Giant makes a Trance X4 full-suspension cross-country bike that lists at $1500. They make a lower-end, the Yukon FX, that retails for about $1000. The Trance has the "Maestro" suspension design, which is worth the extra dollars. The Trance is a trail bike. It's meant for riding singletrack in the woods, with rocks and roots and such. It's not a jump bike.

mtbr member
    $1500 for something you want to downhill and jump, you have to go used. Bikes depreciate rapidly, so it wouldn't be that hard to find. I found a 2 year old Reign X1 for that price, which is good enough for the task.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah I have no problem going with a used bike or even a left-over new bike thats a few model years old.

I could probably scrounge up 2K max if its a particularly nice bike

How are Diamondback Mission 3's? I found an '08 for 1400... I used to dabble in BMX a few years ago and last I heard they were bought out and their quality went way down. Is this still the case?

I also found some older stumpjumpers in my price range

And thanks Jonathan, I'll check out the Trance - I dont plan on hitting anything huge but I'm sure i'll be airborne here and there

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Stumpys are nice, might look at bikes similar to the Pitch if you are more enduro or freeride oriented.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    FS for $1500 is totally doable. you have to be a bit creative though, and concede that you will not have a brand new bike.

option 1 - buy used. look at craigslist for your area. you will get a great frame and components for the penalty of being used, and making sure you aren't getting swindled. but as a first bike on a budget, this is a good option. you just have to know what you're looking for to do this all yourself.

option 2 - go to your LBS. ask for leftover/clearance models from last year. the shops need the floor space and want to get rid of the old models. this is how i bought my new bike. at the end of 2010 they had a 2009 model that retailed for $2500, i got it for $1600. don't be afraid to bargain with them, remember that they want to unload the old bikes almost as bad as you want to buy it. however do your research and be weary, some bikes might not have sold for a good reason.

option 3 - also at your LBS. ask them for used bikes that they own or know about. a great option is buying one of their demo's if they have them. that would make the bike used, but it should have been well maintained, would still come with a full warranty, and can be offered at deeply discounted 'used' prices.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Got a buddy with a very clean XL Giant Reign 0 in your price range. It has the hi level component pkg and fork/shock(6", DW link rear). The suspension locks out and has C/R adjustments.
    It's in your price range. He's 50 and has never left the ground on it. Low hours.
    He just got it out of the shop with fork rebuild and full lube and tune.
    I'm 5'11" and the XL size feels fine for me.

In SoCal.
    What's your location?

He just took pics. PM me mmmK.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Chainlove had a FS Kona Dawgg (entry-/mid-level AM) on sale this evening for something like $799. As I recall, it had an SLX drivetrain, a Tora fork and a Monarch 3.1 shock. Not the greatest, but still a damned good deal.

Back at it
    I had a '99 Kona Stab for a while and at the time it was considered a DH bike, by todays standards its more like an All Mountain/Free Ride bike. Buy used and you can get an awesome bike within your budget. I would suggest a long travel single crown forked bike. Kona makes good stuff

My old Stab was similar to this - I sold it for $800 back in like '04. Find yourself "yesterdays" DH bike and put a modern fork on it, hit the trails and have a blast. I rode the whole of Porcupine Rim with the Stab and while some of the uphills were tough, it was worth it for the decents.

Research | Build | Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KX250Fmotoracer
    How are Diamondback Mission 3's? I found an '08 for 1400... I used to dabble in BMX a few years ago and last I heard they were bought out and their quality went way down. Is this still the case?
    I recently got a 09 mission and love it, the more modern ones look even better. definately not bad quality, more like kick ass bikes!! IMO. There have been a few on sale recently and definatley worth it at those prices. I got mine from giantnerd and had it shipped to Aus, even after paying shipping it was a killer deal!! They may even have free shipping if your in the States!
    good luck