mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New Sette Reken Hardtail Frame or used Klein Attitude?

Hi Everyone,

Newbie to this forum and I was hoping for some help in picking a hardtail frame for XC racing/training. I was looking at the Sette Reken Hardtail Frame for sale at pricepoint for 150.00:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/141...tail-Frame.htm

but also I was considering buying a used klein attitude frame for about $200.00 on ebay or a cannondale hardtail. I just want something reasonably light that I can put some miles on and get back into shape with. I haven't seriously ridden since last Novemeber and I'm not worthy of anything too spectacular (s-works hardtail, etc). My question is if you had 150-200.00 to spend on an aluminum hardtail frame would you go with something like the Sette Reken Hardtail Frame, brand new at price point or a used klein attitude/cannondale hardtail frame? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I just built up a Reken frame from parts I had around. I forgot to weigh it before I built it up but the chainstays on this are huge so I think the Klein would be a little lighter. It would do just fine for what you're looking for though. If you can actually find a Klein or Cannondale frame in your size and in good condition for under $200 then go for it. I was looking at used frames too and there was a Stumpjumper HT on eBay I had my eye on but it went all the way up to $300. So I went new and got the Sette instead and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited by RiDE; 08-11-2005 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Sweet Build!

That looks real nice the way you built it up. The Klein frame I was looking at on ebay ended up selling for 240.00 plus 30.00 shipping, a little more then I wanted to pay for a used hardtail frame. At this point I'm leaning more and more toward the Reken. New is new and its still over 100.00 less then it looks like I'll pay everywhere else. Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member

Thanks!

I was also looking at the Access XCL from Supergo, a Fetish Discipline, and a Leader frame since they're pretty much all at the same price range. Nashbar used to have a gloss black frame for $99 but I guess they don't sell it anymore. But I'm very happy with the flat black look.

In any case, I needed the bike done before the weekend and Pricepoint is only less than an hour away from me so I had it with me in no time.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The Sette frame looks nice, but the Gemetry they have posted on their website is all wacky. They show a 69 degree head angle, short toptubes, and tall headtubes. Basically the geometry is a that of a long travel hardtail for freeride/urban applied to a light tubeset.

For my money the Access XCL. Lightweight, traditional 71/73 geometry and sizing, good paint and clean welds. On weight weenies the 14" came in at 1490 grams, actually under the claimed weight of 1565 grams. I have built up two supergo frames and both have been a steal for the money.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Bad Hand In Life
    I'd reccomend the Leader over the Rekken. It's cheaper. It's handmade in the US with stronger and lighter Aluminum. The frame is relatively beefed up and can take some decent hits. Word of caution, it does require a integrated headset.

Also, Nashbar does still sell their Aluminum frame, as well as a steel frame for $100.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by IFELL
    I'd reccomend the Leader over the Rekken. It's cheaper. It's handmade in the US with stronger and lighter Aluminum.

Since when it Taiwan in the US? How is Leader's aluminium lighter and stronger? Do you have the yield strengths, etc for their proprietary blend?

Also, the Nashbar Steel frame is a tank at 6 pounds or so. If you want a steel frame you can race for a reasonable price, check out the Soma Groove for $300.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004

Steel?

GF - What about a steel hardtail frame? Here's a quality sub-4lb Reynolds 853 steel frame from Interloc Racing Designs on ebay with 10 rides on it and no bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Hands down, this one will ride a lot better than the Reken. $250 total including shipping. (I built it new this spring and won 2 XC races with it.)
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-12-2005 at 12:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    GF - What about a steel hardtail frame? Here's a quality sub-4lb Reynolds 853 steel frame from Interloc Racing Designs on ebay with 10 rides on it and no bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Hands down, this one will ride a lot better than the Reken. $250 total including shipping. (I built it new this spring and won 2 XC races with it.)

Thanks for the heads up. Steel is real as they say. My only concern is that frame is going for a starting bid of 199.00 and a buy it now price of 250.00 while the supergo access xcl is going for 129.00 not including shipping. The IRD sure looks sweet, I will admit but I'm not sure I want to pay that much just yet. The steel would feel much better on my old back though....decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Ibex has a hardtail frame for $169. They make good bikes.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-FRM-Details.html

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004

different rides, completely

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Force
    Thanks for the heads up. Steel is real as they say. My only concern is that frame is going for a starting bid of 199.00 and a buy it now price of 250.00 while the supergo access xcl is going for 129.00 not including shipping. The IRD sure looks sweet, I will admit but I'm not sure I want to pay that much just yet. The steel would feel much better on my old back though....decisions, decisions.
    I think the Reken to the XCL is probably an apples to apples comparison - in fact, they look striking similar. (Between the two, especially if you're looking to do some XC racing, I think the XCL is the better of the two - I've owned two of them.) Total with ground shipping on an XCL will be $164. The Tempest, however, is a whole step or two up in quality over both the Reken and the XCL - 853 steel and only .14 lbs heavier than the XCL. At $199, you're still $310 under retail for the Interloc. A comparison to the Interloc would be the Zion 853 frame on Jenson - BUT the Zion frame is a full pound heavier than then Interloc and costs $100 more. The Tempest is a "cousin" of the Soma Groove - same measurements and angles - I think they're made in the same factory. However, the Tempest is 853, while the Groove is 631 steel and heavier.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-12-2005 at 12:39 PM.

mtbr member
    The Reken does have a slack head angle and it would have slower handling in tight single tracks but it should be fine for general trail riding in my case. I won't get to use it until this weekend so we'll see until then.

I saw a built up Zion 853 at the Jenson showroom but buying a frame over $200, let alone almost $300, would probably just make me start buying components that would push me out of my budget nevermind the fact that I'm supposed to be building a bike from parts I had laying around. The XCL would come out the cheapest but would be better if you're looking for a better XC bike.

Post pics of what you end up with.

mtbr member
    Ride,
    So what do you think of your Reken now that you've had a chance to ride it a little more? Do you know if the 69 degree headangle is with an 80mm fork? Is that what you have on your build? For a budget build, it sure looks sweet.

Ant

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hey,

If you still have the box for the Reken, see where it was made. I agree it does look similar to the Weyless XCL and think that Pricepoint may have just screwed up on the numbers when they listed them. I still have the XCL box from my wifes frame, and believe the frame was welded by GT.

mtbr member
    Well I didn't get to try it out as much as I wanted to. After a little more than a mile, one of my friends dropped his bike crossing a creek and bent his derailleur. We felt bad since he did drive us there so we went back down. It climbs pretty well, nothing to knock your socks from your usual hardtail but from the little amount of time we went going down, the slack headtube makes descending pretty stable. I have a 100mm manitou on it, I don't know if the listed geo was with an 80mm or a 100mm, hell pricepoint has more info about the frame than the sette website.

As for the box, it just says made in Taiwan, Sette Reken, and the usual dimensions and weight of the box. I don't know if it's the same frame as the XCL. When I was looking at one, the brake tabs on the top tube were a little different, and the stays weren't as thick looking and it doesn't have a longish headtube.

By the way, Jenson has the Zion 853 on sale for $240, basically $50 off. It has nicer welds and probably better finish but it's still more expensive.

Hopefully we'll get to finish a ride this weekend or the next, the weather has been cool and breezy lately.

mtbr member
    I received an e-mail back from Sette today confirming that the 69 deg HA was measured with a 100mm fork. To me this is a plus, since that's the HA for my 575, and I love the way she handles.

Over the last year and a half i've accumulated a set of hayes mech disc-brakes, 04 black 100mm fork, cheap sun ds2/deore wheels, deore shifters, sev'l sette stems, wellgo pedals and ritchey flat handlebars. All i need are derailleurs, cranks and a frame, and I'll have myself a second bike.

I ordered the reken last night for $120 (price jumped today to $150), but am still wondering if I should just go for the Zion 853. The rear tire clearance and the price are what are keeping me away from the Zion, but at $240 plus 10% off, the price keeps becoming less of an issue.

decisions, decisions. . .
    Last edited by antonio; 08-16-2005 at 02:42 PM.

Cereal Killer

New question here. Any rides yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RiDE
    Well I didn't get to try it out as much as I wanted to. After a little more than a mile, one of my friends dropped his bike crossing a creek and bent his derailleur. We felt bad since he did drive us there so we went back down. It climbs pretty well, nothing to knock your socks from your usual hardtail but from the little amount of time we went going down, the slack headtube makes descending pretty stable. I have a 100mm manitou on it, I don't know if the listed geo was with an 80mm or a 100mm, hell pricepoint has more info about the frame than the sette website.

As for the box, it just says made in Taiwan, Sette Reken, and the usual dimensions and weight of the box. I don't know if it's the same frame as the XCL. When I was looking at one, the brake tabs on the top tube were a little different, and the stays weren't as thick looking and it doesn't have a longish headtube.

By the way, Jenson has the Zion 853 on sale for $240, basically $50 off. It has nicer welds and probably better finish but it's still more expensive.

Hopefully we'll get to finish a ride this weekend or the next, the weather has been cool and breezy lately.

Ride, I was wondering if you had gotten any good riding in on the Sette Reken? What are your thoughts on it? I'm considering one myself, and the price looks really good to me.

Chad

mtbr member
    May 2004

Heres a soma frame, fork, post for sale - $300