mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New Old Bike a good Deal?

Hi guys, I am a total newb to the MTB scene and was scouring the local bike shops for a good bike around $1500.00 . I prefer hardtail and also do not like the 29ers. Anyways, I was in the Giant store and Found a 2010 Giant Anthem x3 for $1640.00 They told me that it was the best they could do. I am 5'7" and it is a small. The frame said recommended for 5'4" to 5'7". I test rode it and it felt great. I am just not sure I am wanting to drop $1640.00 for a almost 3 year old bike. What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Giant bikes go
    1 or 0 top end
    2 mid level
    3 lower end

I think the anthem is full suspension and for 3 yr old bike you could probably do better IMO.
    A friend of mine just picked up an Anthem x3 29 2011 for $2000 from LBS. I know you are not looking for a 29er but that will give some perspective.

Think you can get a great deal on a newer hard tail 26, for the same price.

Freshly Fujified

Not a bad deal, but....

If you have a preference for hardtails, keep shopping. Someone may have a high end hardtail that's leftover from a couple of years. You should be able to get something very nice for your $1500.00.

As for the age of the bike, so long as it's new old stock, and 2009/2010 or newer, don't worry about it being an oder model. Frankly, you may find that the older model has a better spec than the newer (as each year mfrs are more concerned about price point than spec, and each year, bikes get more expensive to build, so they dumb down the spec to hit the price point).

Last year I purchased a 2009 Fuji Outland Pro for a grand. It's a $2600 bike brand new. Granted it's full suspension, but my point is that there are deals to be had if you shop around. Just bought a 2009 Cannondale BadBoy (flat bar road bike) for 50% off list price. Keep looking...keep looking.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would get the anthem if they would come down to $1500.00 I really don't expect it to sell soon if it has been there for 3 years? I wonder what they paid for it? Anyhow, I have been looking at 26er hardtails, which I hate to say for some reason get the shaft on the front fork these days. I am really thinking about getting the 2012 Jamis Dakota DXC Race. The local Jamis dealer said they could do $1350.00 for it? Any other suggestions that same range?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not sure i would fork that much up either - I would go with your gut and pass on it

mtbr member
    I think $1500 would be a very fair price for them...that bike was $1850 2 years ago and they're only knocking $200 off?

I haven't bought a hardtail in years but that Jamis looks nice. At least the fork has a decent damper and the total weight is pretty good. I am big on buying used if possible. You can save a lot of $ and find something almost brand new...plus it saves the agony of the first scratch!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    looks good

Members who have read this thread: 0