mtbr member
    May 2011

New new bike advice

Over the past few years...i had given up riding. My last bike build was a few years ago and was a very short lived ownership. I had built up a Morewood ndiza (2004 avocado green)...but it sucked for any kind of pedaling and when i was doing any kind of drops i has to go easy since it was a hardtail. So...i sold it.

My gf recently decided that she wanted a bike...so she bought herself a GT avalanche off of bikes direct and now I want to get one myself. I def need to lose some weight (250lbs...5'9)...and with asthma i'm limited on what i can do until i do loose some weight.

So i'm looking for a bike...just can't figure out what i want. Here's some needs/wants

-less than $1000 total
    -at least a front suspension bike (would love FS...never had it)
    -disk brakes, prefer hydraulic
    -at least x7 or LX for rear der.
    -at least 2x9 or 3x9 (prefer at least 2x9 this time after having 1x9 last time)
    -decent fork up front
    -have to fit for weight

i don't care what brand the bike is.....i really don't care if its made in the usa or not. i don't care if it's a shimano or a sram bike (i actually prefer sram..liked my x7 parts on my morewood so i assume x9 and x0 are even better)

anything on bikes direct is fine by me, or anything of priceline....don't know of any other "big box discount super online stores" that carry stuff or they'd be fine too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    so you're just looking for a commuter bike to lose weight, or do you want to get back into some trail riding and hitting some drops?

these were a couple that were suggested to me when i was looking for my first trail bike a few weeks ago. didn't end up getting them as i live in canada

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e_600HT_xi.htm

and

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1500xi.htm

hope that helps! good luck in your search!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    it's gonna be starting with greeway/paved path riding (i have a separate set of tires for that) and then turn back into real trails and what such. No huge drops or anything...nothing over 4-5 ft to tranny...probably closer to 2-3 ft stuff.

and i was looking, at a minimum, the 700HT on bikes direct...i'd like something spec'd AT LEAST that well, but prefer a little better

mtbr member
    May 2011
    anybody?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If I may be so bold as to spend your $1000, and you are already looking at the 700HT as a bike you might settle for, I have a suggestion that seems to hit your real wants and still in budget: Fantom HT Comp at BD. The 2010 models are only $700, but they have limited sizes available. The 2011 models are $800. Check out the specs! Feedback seems to be very good on these too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Fantom HT Comp at BD are all sold out though. =/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the 2010 model only has small listed....and i e-mailed about the availbility of it yesterday. if they do in fact have that one small left, i'm ordering it this morning

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You may want to check that ett in the geometry chart before gettting a small. I'm only a half inch taller and would look at the large.

Perhaps they measure the ett differently. On the diagram, the horizontal line stops at the seat tube instead of the seat post.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i was in touch with 2 seperate people there...both suggested a small to me

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ok so i went by a bike shop today and asked them to size me...one guy said medium, the next did the same....i went to another shop on the way home and the same answer.

i have no clue why BD would suggest a small....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What about the 2010 Motobecane Fantom Elite?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_elite09.htm

They have a 20", which should be around what you are looking for?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    a 20" sounds way too big? i think i need in the range of an 18" or so?

i'm going to a bigger bike shop tomorrow and maybe picking something up

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You're right. Didn't pay attention to you being 5'9. 18.5"-19" sounds about right. I'm 5'7 and I was actually at my local Trek store yesterday and hopped on an 18" Trek 4300 and 4500. Both felt very comfortable.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well, i've decided to up my budget to $1500
    looked at a GT Sensor 3.0 yesterday and love the looks of it.........but can't find much in the department of reviews though. it's on sale for $1399 with 20% of that back in store credit (perfomance bikes)

i might get it, unless someone can suggest soemthign better in that price range

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you have 1500 to spend, this is all you? Was looking around and they have mediums in stock.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...dynasys_xi.htm

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i ended up with this

mtbr member
    May 2011
    sexy!