I've been perusing this forum for a couple of days since I decided to get a new bike and I've seen a lot of "which of these..." threads. Well, I hate to do it but here's another. I fully understand that I should just get the bike that makes me happy and works for me but in this case I like both bikes and would be happy with either. The situation with me is that I am dealing with two separate bike shops each of which tell me that the bike they want to sell me is better than the other. The low down on me is that I'm not a bike guy. I am not going to pretend that I will peruse these forums after I make my purchase. I don't know the difference between many of the brands and what component is better than the other. I'm so out of the loop on things that I only found out a few days ago that bikes now have disk brakes! So I'm here to ask a simple question, based on components and specs which of the two I'm looking at is indeed a better buy than the other? My choices are:

Scott Aspect 940
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29

I'm in a situation where I have have two LSBs holding one each for me as they are each aware that I'm comparing the other bike. I plan to make a call by Monday to lock in my choice and all I'm looking for here is for the people that have a full understanding of components to let me know which is the better buy.
I buy phones every year cause I get bored of them. I get a new computer every two or three years to have the processing power I want. I"ll buy a new DSLR every three years. My last bike, a circa 1994-95-ish GT Tempest has been with me since the day I bought it (back in 94 or 95) and the only time I went into a bike shop since was for a minor repair. I plan to buy and ride and enjoy it for as long as I can.
Please let me know if I need to link to the spec sheets for each..
I appreciate as much input as possible. If I get enough to sway me one way or the other I might just go tomorrow and make the purchase.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any and all replies that help me will be greatly appreciated.