mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New frame or new headset?

Need some help....

Friend sold me a brand new, never ridden, blue pig X swapout frame. When he sold it to me, I was told it had a 1.5" diameter headtube.

I purchased all brand new components for the bike, Nukeproof wheels, Raceface Atlas crank, Marzocchi fork, Saint rear-d with matching chain and cassette, BB7 brakes, Deity Bars, Raceface stem, and Hans Dampf trail star tires.

Now the issue....... I also purchased a nice new Chris King Headset from Aspire Velotech (great company to deal with). The headset is a 1.5" reduced to 1-1/8" steerer tube. However..... After recieving the frame, I find that the headtube is actually 44mm, not 1.5" diameter.

So.... The pig 16" frame is about an inch too small for me, but once built it will be rideable with a slightly longer stem, and a higher seat-tube.

My issue is... Keep the frame and build it up with a new headset, it will be just ever so slightly small, but adaptable to my size, or purchase a new frame with a 1.5" headtube thats a 17-18" frame.

If I go with a new headset and keep the pig frame, where would I get a 44mm diameter headset, reducing to a 1-1/8 steerer tube?

If I get a new frame, suggestions for a dh-am frame with a 1.5" headtube?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Keep the frame! Radgley's website gives headset suggestions. If you don't see answer on the site email them. A blue pig frame is worth much more than a headset