mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New Frame for Giant Rainier?

I have a 2002 Giant Rainier. The bike is in great condition, but I'm thinking I'd rather have a bike with a full suspension.

Is it feasible/practical to buy a frame and use all of the other components off the Rainier? If so, what brands/models should I look at?

Or would I be better off just selling the Rainier and buying a new bike?

Thanks,

Alan

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No
    Yes.

bi-winning
    I had a 2002 Rainier. It cracked. Through the warranty process I got a discount on a NRS frame as a replacement.

All of the Rainier's components swapped nicely onto a 2005 Giant NRS.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    if you're looking for a full suspension ride.....you're probably better off just getting a new bike and going from there, but its not going to be cheap. i've had a full suspension, i didn't like it for my style of riding. i ride a lot on the street, as well as trails, but the street it was pretty eh

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    No
    Yes.
    This. /thread
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanchis
    I have a 2002 Giant Rainier. The bike is in great condition, but I'm thinking I'd rather have a bike with a full suspension.

Is it feasible/practical to buy a frame and use all of the other components off the Rainier? If so, what brands/models should I look at?

Or would I be better off just selling the Rainier and buying a new bike?

Thanks,

Alan
    I assume the Rainier has disc brakes? If so, doing a frame swap could work out. You will definitely need new cables and housing, and as long as you have the frame un-built, you may as well get a new headset in there. Depending on the frame specs, you might need a new BB (bottom bracket), front derailleur, seat post or seat collar clamp. There are also a few tools you might want to invest in, like a tool for installing and removing whatever type of bb you have.

If your bike does not have disc brakes, this could be a lot more involved, and will either limit your frame choices, or necessitate a new wheel set and brakes, and would make this swap much less desirable.

Give us a link to the specs of your bike if you can.

Another thing to consider is that the FS frame you buy and your fork should be an appropriate match. If that bike came with an 80mm fork, don't slap it on a 140mm frame.

For the last 12 years, every "new" mt bike of mine has been a new frame with mostly swapped over parts. You learn a lot in the process
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Give us a link to the specs of your bike if you can.
    Nevermind, I just looked it up myself.

The bike is disc, so that part is OK.

Something to consider at this point is that the fork is only 80mm. I would only get a new frame for this if you are looking for a short travel one made for an 80mm fork. Otherwise you are looking at a new fork, and that is starting to get into some money.

I would also be very honest about how good of shape all the parts on your bike really are. 9 years is pretty old for everything on there unless you hardly ever rode it. With even moderate riding, you could be ready for new cassette, rings, chain, fork (or a re-build), wheels, brake pads...... in this case, this will become a money pit and going with a new complete is much more cost effective.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.