mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New to this forum--Just asking for advice on starting bike

Hey guys, and gals!

I simply joined this forum today to get some first hand advice on the purchase of my first DH mountain bike. I raced for many years in a BMX league here in the US and was extremely successful in the sport. I got a little older and kind of ventured away, but have been contemplating for a few years to get back to it. I recently decided that I am going to be purchasing a DH mountain bike and would like to purchase a high end model to suit my needs and carry on my passion of the sport. I am currently looking at the Specialized DEMO 8 Carbon as well as the Specialized Demo 8 II. From research, I have heard of many failures with the Cane Creek rear suspension and have noticed the 2014 DEMO 8 utilizes the FOX Racing suspension setup on the Carbon, and the OHLINS setup on the DEMO 8 II. I know OHLINS is very reputable as I have rode sport bikes for many years as well. If I could get some positive advice, which from most forums I have been on I have never received, I would greatly appreciate each input. All negative feedback will simply be ignored and I will just find my answers elsewhere. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Assuming that you will do zero pedaling uphil or on flat and only ride DH, you're on the right path with the DH bike. Problem posting here is that DH is a very specific riding style. Try posting this in the DH section and you'll get more/better answers.

You can try Pink Bike as well. Again, post in their DH sub forum.