bay area CA

new cannondale SL-3 or 2011 SL-2?

hey all, it's about that time i look for a new ride as mine is becoming rapidly antiquated. i love mountain biking and have had the opportunity to ride some of the great trails in california, but im not one of those guys that wants to spend 3 grand for a new bike. ive done pretty well for myself for the past few years on my GT avalanche 1.0 and im looking to spend around a grand for my next one. im a 26" hardtail purist, and what im looking for is a bike that is under a 1000 bucks that has a decent fork, stiff frame and at deore derailers or sram. i would like a 9x3 or hopefully if i can find one, a 3x10 drivetrain. what ive found so far that have caught my attention are the cannondale SL-3 and SL-2 rigs, this trek that at the moment i cant recall the exact model, and a marin bobcat that looked pretty cool. the SL-2 i found was last years model, and the SL-3 i found is this years model and they are going for around 800 bucks. the marin bobcat i found was going for a mere 650 bucks and the trek for about 800. i am also looking at a 2010 specialized hopper with fox forks up front for 825.

anyone got any thoughts or experiences with any of these rigs? im more of an xc guy, not really into racing but id like to get into my first official xc race this summer. i dont do any strictly downhill, and i have a 20" for my dirt jumping needs. my mtb is mainly used to keep me in shape and to explore all of the terrain california can offer. any thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    You must mean the Trek 4300 disc.
    You might want to consider the Trek 4900 disc if you wouldn't mind maximizing your budget. it has an SLX rear derailer, Deore front derailer, better Hydraulic disc brakes (Shimano M446), and very good geometrics. Check out Marin Palisades too, It has an SRAM X5 Drivetrain.
    These bikes however are only options if you want a 3x10 drivetrain...If not, Go with Giant Revel 0 or Trek 4300/4500 disc.

3x10
    Trek 4900 disc 4900 Disc - Trek Bicycle
    Marin Palisades MARIN BIKES**|** Mountain HT**|**Hydro HT **|**Palisades Trail

3x9
    Trek 4500 disc 4500 Disc - Trek Bicycle
    Giant Revel 0 disc Revel 0 DISC (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | International

these bikes are better than Cannondale IMHO. :P
    The Trek 4900 disc has an SRP of $1079.00 but you could get it on Bicycle Emporium for only $869.99. Goodluck!
    Last edited by OdinZ; 05-15-2012 at 05:56 PM.

bay area CA
    thanks for all the great info, this gives me more info and new perspective on my search. much appreciated. ill post pics of my new ride once i decide on which one i want and get it home.

mtbr member
    You are most welcome! Sure! Goodluck with that!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    spend more cash

bay area CA
    1100 bucks is my budget. ive always been able to do just fine on bikes priced around a grand. my GT avalanche has taken me through the bolinas ridge, shafter grade, china camp, mount tam, the carquinez straight, and countless other trails with no problem. im not a racer or a downhill guy, i just like exploring trails on my bike or in my truck. its not that i cant spend more money, i just find that bikes for around 1000-1300 always fit my needs. im in oregon on business this week and stumbled into an REI and got to check out an SL-2 in person and i loved it. it looked great, had decent components and the weight was just right for me. the only thing that i would upgrade are the wheels and that can be done after i run through the stock ones. so far the SL-2 is the clubhouse leader. im going to make my decision hopefully by june and get into a new bike in time for the summer riding season. thanks fellas.

mtbr member
    26" hardtail purist here too, congrats on buying a nice bike. I considered a '12 SL2 vs the '12 Stumpjumper Comp I recently bought. A LOT of difference in price. I'm a similar rider to you, though, and wondered if I could really justify dropping nearly 2 grand on a bike at my riding ability... so was strongly considering the Cannondale.

The weight, the Reba and the 2x10 set-up--as well as the fit & feel--is what ended up selling me on the Stumpy, but I really liked the SL2, nice bike. Pics?
    Last edited by Colo Springs E; 05-24-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0