Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 61
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39

    New bike suggestions help?

    First off I'm a newbie to the MTB, I'm a trail runner and a road biker. Anyway I've narrowed down my choices to these. Any comments or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. These are the deals I've found nearby.


    Cannondale f29 alloy 2 $1980
    Trek Superfly al elite $1600
    Niner EMD $1900
    Specialized Stump Jumper comp 29 or evo 29 $2000

    ?

  2. #2
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    That's a nice budget for a new bike. What kind of riding do you plan to do? Have you been to your local bike shop?


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    looking to do single track trails, no jumping or stunts. been to a couple of shops nearby these are the best suggestions from the shops nearby. None of them carry all of these and each said these would be the best for me. When I'm not on the trails I plan on using this to pull my son around in a burley. I'm about 5'8" 180.

  4. #4
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    For that budget I'd go with FS, there are plenty of good selections, one is the Spech you listed, also check out the Giant Trance X in both 26 or 29 version. Unless you are dead set on 29er, I'd suggest that you consider the 26er line up as well.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    which one is the FS? I'm a newbie sorry

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    isn't the trance x like $3200?

  7. #7
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by chidoc View Post
    which one is the FS? I'm a newbie sorry
    FS, full suspension, front and back suspension. That would be the specialized evo and stumpy, and the trance x I mentioned, Trek Superfly 100 is also FS.

  8. #8
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by chidoc View Post
    isn't the trance x like $3200?
    Depends on the model, some lower model like Trance X$ is about $1400

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    do the FS version cost a lot more and could I still pull a trailer with a FS?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    looking to stay at or below 2K

  11. #11
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    Yes. Trance x4 is below 2k for sure. Yes it should tow a trailer just fine.

    I'd also look in Craigslist for a used Cannondale rush or prophet you can probably find one about $700-900. Med or large should fit you fine, med is better though.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Lol, build your own. Buy and frame fork combo. Decide on what groupset you want and get up and personal with the new bike. Drop in a realy nice rear hub and dont buy carbon anything for a mountain setup.

    Carbon bikes are thow away 1 season for racers, road bikes..... ya i wont do carbon there either.

    If ur going to mtb go for durability. Forget about weightweenie.com

    Do you self a favor and go aluminum.

    X0 LEVEL groupset with grip shifts. This will get you a shifter with bearings and a derailuer with sealed cartridge bearing in the rear pulleys.

    Drop in hollow kmc chain and this setup will be fabulous for many many rides.

    Wrd.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Oh ya, and the big brand name bikes, they are all made at the same factory in china.

    Dont fall for the BIG NAME MARKETING.

    Does not equate to BIG FUN. Although it may equate to big loss of your wallet lol.

  14. #14
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    Lol, build your own. Buy and frame fork combo. Decide on what groupset you want and get up and personal with the new bike. Drop in a realy nice rear hub and dont buy carbon anything for a mountain setup.

    Carbon bikes are thow away 1 season for racers, road bikes..... ya i wont do carbon there either.

    If ur going to mtb go for durability. Forget about weightweenie.com

    Do you self a favor and go aluminum.

    X0 LEVEL groupset with grip shifts. This will get you a shifter with bearings and a derailuer with sealed cartridge bearing in the rear pulleys.

    Drop in hollow kmc chain and this setup will be fabulous for many many rides.

    Wrd.
    ^^^this. Failed

    It would ended up more expensive than one would think. Unless op has the tool, the know how, and strong will to build up the bike. Take the pill and go with complete bike.

    I know op stated that he's already a roadie so if this apply to you as far as DIY then read up on the component trims.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    thanks for the heads up on the giant trances i didn't realize FS is that affordable

  16. #16
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    Oh ya, and the big brand name bikes, they are all made at the same factory in china.

    Dont fall for the BIG NAME MARKETING.

    Does not equate to BIG FUN. Although it may equate to big loss of your wallet lol.
    Another epic fail.


    mjs1231 is just another troll, pay no attention

    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    i wasn't paying attention to that anyway. I'm def not building my own

  18. #18
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    How's your wrenching skills. If you know how to adjust your drivetrain and have tools used bike is not a bad option.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,462
    Definitely go with FX, with that budget..
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 09:41 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    is FX=FS

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    Cannondale Prophet Mountain Bike

    Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

    2008 Specialized Epic Expert

    Giant Trance X4 size Med (18")

    Giant XTC Alliance

    these are what i found locally any preference between these or should i go with something new like trance x29er 2?

  22. #22
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Best thing for you is to look up the demo day in your area, take your time and commit to a few demos before you buy. 29ers have their pros and cons so, I would not limit my choices to just 29ers. I own all 3 wheel sizes 26, 650b(27.5), and 29 I like 26 the most.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    The reason i was thinking along the 29er lines was that I wanted an easier time while pulling the the burley trailer.

  24. #24
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by chidoc View Post
    The reason i was thinking along the 29er lines was that I wanted an easier time while pulling the the burley trailer.
    Well if the trail you plan to ride has a lot of slow spots 29er would not help much, many think that 29er can cruise at higher speed, but in reality it's not true unless you are talking about flat grade. 29er accelerate slower and harder to turn.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39

    Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Well if the trail you plan to ride has a lot of slow spots 29er would not help much, many think that 29er can cruise at higher speed, but in reality it's not true unless you are talking about flat grade. 29er accelerate slower and harder to turn.

    So if you had to choose one bike to be the most versatile for a variety of terrain what would it be? I may have a 2k budget but I can't get three bikes

  26. #26
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    Quote Originally Posted by chidoc View Post
    So if you had to choose one bike to be the most versatile for a variety of terrain what would it be? I may have a 2k budget but I can't get three bikes
    Without a doubt trance x on either wheel size. If get the best trim my 2k can get me. Maestro is probably best bang for your bucks. Forget the components the heart of any FS bike is the frame design.

    That's the short version of my answer


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39

    budget blown

    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Without a doubt trance x on either wheel size. If get the best trim my 2k can get me. Maestro is probably best bang for your bucks. Forget the components the heart of any FS bike is the frame design.

    That's the short version of my answer


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    So after going to a few LBS I've blown up my budget prefer the FS and have narrowed down to three bikes

    Niner Jet 9 2 star spec JET 9

    Trek Superfly AL 100 elite Superfly 100 AL Elite - Trek Bicycle

    Giant Trance X 29er1 Trance X 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States




    any more suggestions?

  28. #28
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by chidoc View Post
    So after going to a few LBS I've blown up my budget prefer the FS and have narrowed down to three bikes

    Niner Jet 9 2 star spec JET 9

    Trek Superfly AL 100 elite Superfly 100 AL Elite - Trek Bicycle

    Giant Trance X 29er1 Trance X 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States




    any more suggestions?
    Well what's your new budget?, it's possible that I can help you destroy it , I only have one in mind Ibis Mojo SL Special blend. I own 3 Mojo definitely I love this bike. A killer deal at $2750 or may be lower if you can find it.

    On the side note anyone on your list would be awesome, I had the Rip9 so Niner is definitely a favorite. Did you test ride at least?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    That sounds like the coffee I had this morning but these are the three I road today. I have seen an Ibis anywhere but so far these three are very close my budget changed after I rode a few lower end FS bikes these seem to be like butter. I'm trying to stay less than 3K. The Trek had better components than the Niner but what do you think?

  30. #30
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    How much is the jet9.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    3100

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    I would not hop into any of those bikes.
    Those expensive bikes are no better than a 600 dollar bike with a good tune. Get a gt karakoram 3 with a tower expert fork and start riding. Dont go out and blow 1200 on a mountain bike lol.

    You can pickup a nice 29er gt karakoram 45% off right now. I believe for 320 bucks.

    My neighbor got one and added some cheap mods like a 720 bar and a short stem and it rides great.

    Now you have 700 in cash to do what ever you want with.

    These people here like to drop brand names because they think they are cool then call you names for calling them out.

    I just laugh.

    Are you doing down hill, 6 foot air jumps?
    are you racing competitions ?

    No? Then get the gt in your size and you wont regret it.

    If you decide you want big air and live somewhere besides florida then by all means go for it.

    I live in palm beach gardens and i hqve been all over down here and there are no parks that you will need a 1200 dollar mountainbike.

  33. #33
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    Well give ibis a consideration then. It's a fun ride that's light and very capable. It's 5.5"(140mm) carbon frame weight less than 5lbs.

    I like a bit longer travel than XCish 100mm rear travel so there's room to expand as far as trail riding are concern.

    Trance x29 is 120mm, trek rumblefish is 110mm and the rip9 is 110ish as well.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    I would not hop into any of those bikes.
    Those expensive bikes are no better than a 600 dollar bike with a good tune. Get a gt karakoram 3 with a tower expert fork and start riding. Dont go out and blow 1200 on a mountain bike lol.

    You can pickup a nice 29er gt karakoram 45% off right now. I believe for 320 bucks.

    My neighbor got one and added some cheap mods like a 720 bar and a short stem and it rides great.

    Now you have 700 in cash to do what ever you want with.

    These people here like to drop brand names because they think they are cool then call you names for calling them out.

    I just laugh.

    Are you doing down hill, 6 foot air jumps?
    are you racing competitions ?

    No? Then get the gt in your size and you wont regret it.

    If you decide you want big air and live somewhere besides florida then by all means go for it.

    I live in palm beach gardens and i hqve been all over down here and there are no parks that you will need a 1200 dollar mountainbike.
    Again get a clue, and go troll some other site. If what you said has even a bit of intelligent argument I'd respond to it.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    The Niner looks and rides nice does it justify the price bump over the Trek and Giant. I think of the three Trek has the better components though I heard Fox front forks aren't as reliable as the Rocks?

  36. #36
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    Quote Originally Posted by chidoc View Post
    The Niner looks and rides nice does it justify the price bump over the Trek and Giant. I think of the three Trek has the better components though I heard Fox front forks aren't as reliable as the Rocks?
    Fox and RS are about the same overall. I have had both good and bad experience from both brands.

    Many of trek's FS models the suspension are proprietary like drcv, also the g2 forks. Trek design is a modified SinglePivot with abp (concentric drop out). It's very plush an climb well, you can brake much later because braking action doesn't firm up the rear suspension.

    Niner CVA is similar to the dual mini links like giant maestro, and Dw link ibis, CVA pedal firm while offering fully active rear suspension. The combination of firm pedaling an plush suspension is just plain awesome. I Lso found that Niner's geometry is spot on for me at 5'7".


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    So of these three what would you go for?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    483
    The Stumpjumper expert that you have listed above looks like a serious versatile bike.
    The Cannondale is also a great bike but will be a little more challenging on the descents due to an older single pivot rear suspension design. The rear end will rise up a little if you brake a lot going downhill, which is pretty normal for beginners to do.

  39. #39
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by chidoc View Post
    So of these three what would you go for?
    Trance, but if you put Rip9 up there then it would be Rip9.

    Bad thing about XC bikes is that they are a bit too one dimension, sure it's lighter and firmer, but seriously if you are new to the sport of off road riding, you would not be able to tell the little difference any ways. Shorter travel suspension can be tuned to be firm or plush but not really both, very few exception like Pivot 429 and mach4 came to mind. Longer travel you can tune it to enjoy both. All of course without using ProPedal.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    Thanks one more ride today but it looks like the trance.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39

    rip 9 vs trance

    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Trance, but if you put Rip9 up there then it would be Rip9.

    Bad thing about XC bikes is that they are a bit too one dimension, sure it's lighter and firmer, but seriously if you are new to the sport of off road riding, you would not be able to tell the little difference any ways. Shorter travel suspension can be tuned to be firm or plush but not really both, very few exception like Pivot 429 and mach4 came to mind. Longer travel you can tune it to enjoy both. All of course without using ProPedal.
    RIP 9 1-STAR COMPLETE BIKE
    $3199.00


    View Complete 1-Star Spec
    These introductory builds are lovingly curated to deliver the most bang for the starter buck. The 1-Star Build is a popular choice for high school racing and great for a first niner because it's riding, not frills, that ignites passion for the trail.


    • FRAME: NINER RIP 9 – RAW
    • FORK: ROCK SHOX, SECTOR RL, TAPERED ALLOY, 120MM, 15MM MAXLE, BLACK
    • WHEELS: AMERICAN CLASSIC TERRAIN,
    • 15MM FRONT, QR 135MM REAR
    • TIRES: SCHWALBE NOBBY NIC 2.35 TIRES
    • BRAKES: SRAM ELIXIR 1,BLACK 180/160MM ROTORS
    • LEVERS: SRAM ELIXIR 1, BLACK
    • R/SHIFTER: SRAM X7 10SP
    • F/SHIFTER: SRAM X7 2SP
    • R/DER: SRAM X7 MEDIUM CAGE 10SP
    • F/DER: SRAM X5 10SP 34.9
    • CASSETTE: SRAM PG1030 11-36 10SP
    • CHAIN: KMC X10 10SP
    • CRANKSET: SRAM S1000, 38/24
    • BOTTOM BRACKET: SRAM GXP
    • SADDLE: WTB VOLT SPORT, NINER GRAPHIC
    • SEATPOST: NINER ALLOY SEAT POST, RED GRAPHIC
    • BAR: NINER FLAT TOP ALLOY, RED GRAPHIC
    • STEM: NINER ALLOY STEM, RED GRAPHIC




    Trance X 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

  42. #42
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    Trance come with adj post? Holly crap! That's a good deal.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    yup all for $2600

  44. #44
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    It's a good solid choice.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    I'm 5'8 small or medium?

  46. #46
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    New bike suggestions help?

    I'd go with small.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205

    still laughing

    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Again get a clue, and go troll some other site. If what you said has even a bit of intelligent argument I'd respond to it.
    lol it's all good tough guy. No need to blow a gasket, just offering advice.
    No reason to go on the warpath.

    Go ahead and get the 3200 dollar bike, by all means, hell go all carbon if you like. I'm just saying.

    If you are the kind that needs a 20 lb mountain bike, then hey go for it.

    if so this site maybe for you.

    Weight Weenies

    Ijs, you don't need a light bike to have fun and unless you compete your just blowing your money.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    matter of fact, you don't need disc breaks either or clip-less pedals. 99.99999 people are riding for a bit after work and doing 10 to 30 miles on the weekend. No reason to tell all the people in the forums they need to purchase 3200 dollar bikes just to have fun, its BS. It's just not true.

    A 600 dollar bike that is fit to your body and is tuned correctly is just fine for the 99 %

    Buy one in January and find a killer sale. save 2700 dollars. drop in bomb forks and ur golden. There are guys down here shredding on no suspension and doing fine having a ball.

    So ya there are specific things you can do to upgrade a 600 dollar bike but by o means do you NEED to have a 3200 dollar bike to have a good time.

    it's just a fallacy.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    338
    That RIP 9 is one beautiful bike! Ive been a Niner fan from day one (more hardtails) but that Trance is a sick ride and amazingly specd. I say go with the Trance. The Maestro platform is damn near perfect and that bike has garnered rave reviews from testers.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    39
    How about the trek fuel ex 8?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •