mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New Bike, or put some love into my current bike?

I currently have a bergamont Threesome 5.0, pretty much still stock the way I bought. I've been wanting to spend abit of $ and get something a bit nicer and am stuck between throwing some money at my current bike, or get something new.

The main attraction for getting something completely new is I'd like to go to 650b, something that I assume you can't change to a on 26" bike? I've had a look around and the Bergamont Threesome SL 9.4, basically a newer and higher end version of what I have now. At 3000 Euros, its a fair bit of coin to come up with.

Seconds option is to stick with what I've got and maybe upgrade a few things. Was looking at a new drivetrain, Shimano xt 3x10, new brakes and maybe a new fork and shock, something like a Revelation XX or Pike RCT3, and a monarch Plus RC3. The advantage to this option is it's overall a bit cheaper, and I can do it over time rather than all at once.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edit: Should probably add that my riding type is probably all Mountain, I like to do a bit of everything from DH, trail riding etc.

mtbr member
    For the sort of money you want to spend on forks/shocks etc, I'd almost be tempted to tell you to have a look on Trade Me (for all you overseas guys it's our local version of Ebay etc) and see whats around. Bikebarn quite often has listings on there for previous model year bikes that are very cheap (got my Mt Vision XM8 for $2k, and they retailed for $6k! Just because I got it in august 2012 and it was a 2011 model) There can be some very very good deals to be had.
    Also, it usually will end up more expensive in the long run to get upgrades in bits and pieces as opposed to buying a newer bike straight up.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    For the sort of money you want to spend on forks/shocks etc, I'd almost be tempted to tell you to have a look on Trade Me (for all you overseas guys it's our local version of Ebay etc) and see whats around. Bikebarn quite often has listings on there for previous model year bikes that are very cheap (got my Mt Vision XM8 for $2k, and they retailed for $6k! Just because I got it in august 2012 and it was a 2011 model) There can be some very very good deals to be had.
    Also, it usually will end up more expensive in the long run to get upgrades in bits and pieces as opposed to buying a newer bike straight up.
    Thanks, I hadn't heard of BikeBarn before, which is kinda sad, as looking at there store locator there is one three blocks from my house. Haven't heard of Merida bike before either but their prices look very good.

mtbr member
    My first AM bike was a Merida One-five-O, it was a good bike, if a little heavy. The newer Merida's have generally have good reviews (and Merida make frames for some of the other big companies out there, i.e. Specialized) and they tend to have good specs for the money as well.
    This one is on special, and looks pretty decent - 2014 MERIDA ONE-FORTY 3-B, just shows that you don't need to pay full price for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Looking at the bike barn website I get the feeling they are just using the Briscoes marketing tactic of listing everything at 2x RRP then having 50% of sales almost all year around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley-NZL View Post
    Looking at the bike barn website I get the feeling they are just using the Briscoes marketing tactic of listing everything at 2x RRP then having 50% of sales almost all year around.
    They're probably owned by the same people!