mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New Bike Piranha v. Cinder Cone

First a little background. I'm just recently back into riding after almost a 10 year layoff. I've been riding my old hardtail with no suspension and trying to keep up on group shop rides with guys who race, so suffice it to say, my rig is holding me back. The riding varies from climbing to cross country to downhill, but mainly singletrack on the downhill, nothing crazy. I also use my bike on the road and will continue to do so until I can safely afford a road bike. I plan on sticking with a hardtail as cost is an issue.

I've narrowed my selection down to the Fisher Piranha, which I rode for a week in Steamboat earlier in the summer and the Kona Cinder Cone, which I've ridden in a parking lot. I liked both and to be honest, I couldn't tell much of a difference between the ride of either. So, my decision comes down to specs, with price playing a small roll, but not a determinitive one.

First question, Manitou Axel Elite or Marzocchi MZ-3? I'll probably replace either after next season at the latest, but this is still of concern for the time being.

Second, the drivetrains are similar except for the freewheel, SRAM PG950 (11-34) v. Deore (11-32) and the F/D which is Alivio v. Deore. I know Deore is better than Alivio, but is it noticable on the F/D? And will I recognize a difference between the freewheels?

Third, do brake levers make any noticeable difference at this price range? Tektro v. Avid FR-5. Both bikes have Hayes HMX-2 mechanical discs.

And lastly and most importantly, which frame will be better to grow on and upgrade? As I previously mentioned, I rode both and they were both comfortable, so I guess the question is which is more comparable with the higher end frames in their respective lineups?

I realize this is long, but I wanted to explain my situation as best as possible to get the most accurate answers. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't think I'm qualified to answer most of those questions, but I do own a Piranha. When I tested it out, the front Alivio Der didn't work too well. I asked the bike shop to swap it out for a Deore one--they credited me $10 for the Alivio, and I paid another $20 for the Deore one; so it was only an additional $10. If you like the rest of the bike, that might be one way to go if you're worried about the Alivio.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Another opinion....

They are pretty close to each other on what is easy to compare. The Bontrager stuff I've seen get bashed here a bit but I don't know why. I looked at Fisher myself for an FS rig but ended up buying a Kona. For that particular breed the Kona was the BBD (Bigger Better Deal) by far and I keep smiling. The Konas have a nice framesets and you should feel comfortable upgrading components on it if you want. In the end they are close and assuming they are at different shops the better LBS might sway your decision a bit. See if you can ride them back to back and find the one that feels better to you. Good luck with it.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    1. Some say the manitou is to squishy, i rather like it.
    2. The FD isn't really noticeable, IMO. Besides, you can replace it for 30-40 bucks as long as you know how to replace it.
    3. Brake levers: either will be fine.
    4. I think it would be fine to upgrade on, it still has the Genesis geometry.

I own a Piranha and am loving it so far. Haven't found anything wrong with it yet.

Good luck

~Shorty~