Thread: New bike fever

Go Speed Racer

New bike fever

I have been riding a hardtail 29er (size small) for the past 2 years after getting back into the sport. For some reason I have a bad case of new bike fever. I have been severely craving a 26 inch FS rig. I am short 5'6'', and I feel like now that my skills and fitness have evolved, I am ready to really start tearing it up, and I just feel like a 26er would be a better fit, and FS would allow me to take some of the 2-3 foot drops I have been hitting without taking quite the toll on my body (pushing 40, and I mean really pushing it). Been researching quite a few rides, and demo'ing different stuff, and think I have settled down to wanting one of these (leaning towards the trek):

1) Fuel EX 8 - Trek Bicycle
    2) Trance X1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

My current ride has been upgraded to the teeth, and nothing really left to do to it, but replace it. Now part of me tells me that I am nuts and should just be happy with what I have and wait a few more years. Wife is really not happy with me on this also, so there is that. What can I do to make this fever go away and just be happy with the rig I have now (which really is quite nice)?

Damn this bike thing is like a disease!

Sorry, just had to vent!

T.W.O.
    Both are awesome bikes, I like both as well. Trance X comes with adj post, which is a big plus. Both bikes are fully load with all kinds of tech and I often pick one over the other depending on the day

If you like more set it and forget it suspension I'd go with Giant, but if you like plusher feel on the descend then Trek is the one to go. I don't own either one but I have plenty of trail miles on both bikes, Trek is very close to Roscoe, the top of the list favorite bike that I don't own.

You can flip the coin to make your decision and not feel bad about the result, I can guarantee you that.

On the side note, small Giant would feel more compact than small Trek, if that help, I'm sure by now you have tried both already.

Go Speed Racer
    Thanks for the input! I have tried both, and right now leaning toward the Trek. I do agree that the adjustable seat post is nice, but not a big fan of the Giant one... Probably a few months (at least) from having enough saved up, so plenty of time to do research. Thanks again for the input!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Funny I got the EX8 and have been thinking about a stache 8. I am going to the southeast bike expo next week to ride the stache and a rumblefish.

I have been thinking about the stache because of:

1. Most everyone rides a full race XC 29er HT here. I am not sure I am fully on board with a race bike but I really like how the 29er carries speed.

2. The tree roots are pretty difficult to deal with around here.

3. Its really hard for me to keep up with a 29er on the flats and uphills with the Fuel.

4. I really like how the EX8 rails corners.

5. I really like the feel of the EX8.....It just feels like I cant really get the EX to go on my trails compared to the 29ers.

Overall the Fuel is a great package. It really flies through tight twisty stuff.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Funny I got the EX8 and have been thinking about a stache 8. I am going to the southeast bike expo next week to ride the stache and a rumblefish.

I have been thinking about the stache because of:

1. Most everyone rides a full race XC 29er HT here. I am not sure I am fully on board with a race bike but I really like how the 29er carries speed.

2. The tree roots are pretty difficult to deal with around here.

3. Its really hard for me to keep up with a 29er on the flats and uphills with the Fuel.

4. I really like how the EX8 rails corners.

5. I really like the feel of the EX8.....It just feels like I cant really get the EX to go on my trails compared to the 29ers.

Overall the Fuel is a great package. It really flies through tight twisty stuff.
    Thanks for the input. I currently have a 29er HT, and have been riding fairly technical stuff. It handles it fine, but my body is taking a beating. I am not worried about being the fastest on the mountain or keeping up with anyone. I am out to have fun, and to not be sore the next day I am also looking at going back to 26 inch wheels because I am a short rider and I just feel like the 29 inch wheels on a small frame is a little awkward (on a hard tail at that, I would imagine it to be even weirder on a FS - you know to make room for all the moving parts).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yea I have the same concerns about recovery after a ride on a HT. I am about 5'9 and ride a 17.5" Fuel and it is comfortable.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

T.W.O.

New bike fever

It seems like you have the budget for the ibis mojo sl special blend for $2750. That would definitely be my top choice.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    It seems like you have the budget for the ibis mojo sl special blend for $2750. That would definitely be my top choice.
    Wow, that is a great value, Carbon fiber frame with SLX components, and it is in my price range. My main concern is the way the back shock mounts, it looks like the mount for a water bottle would be on the bottom of the down tube. That is a bit of a deal breaker. I am in AZ and ride in the summer months when it is pushing 110+ degrees out. I use my camelback for hydration and a frozen (at the start of my ride) bottle to squirt in my helmet and on my jersey (water cooled engine) during my ride. I often grab my bottle without stopping and squirt to cool down. With that frame mount it looks like I would need to stop to gain access to the bottle, am I wrong?

T.W.O.

New bike fever

If you require an easy access to a bottle you can go with the stem mount, saddle mount or handlebar mount. I ziptie a misty bottle to my frame before but not something I do all the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Where is that bike for $2750? I looked on the web site at it is almost $4K.
    Mojo SL | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Where is that bike for $2750? I looked on the web site at it is almost $4K.
    Mojo SL | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US
    This 2013 Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yep found it. Thats alot of bike for the $. I wonder if the wheels are tubeless ready? The brakes leave some to be desired. But for about $250 you can get a set of SLX brakes. Then selll the elixer 1 for maybe $100 unused on ebay. Depending on your trails 140mm of travel will be alot different than a 29er HT XC bike.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

T.W.O.

New bike fever

I paid $2200 for my first 2 mojo "frame" and also have the privilege of waiting 6 months for each. Paid $2400 for the hd luckily no wait.

As for the wheel, lets assume that it's not TLR. .