mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New 2005 Devinci Magma, good investment?

Trying to get some input/advice on the spending of my hard earned money....

Looking right now at a brand new 2005 Devinci Magma (same thing as the Guzzler and very similiar, if not the same as the remix) with Rockshox Pike Team U-turn up to 140mm, remote lockout.....Saint hubs, rotors, & derailers....race face crankset, stem, handlebar,...avid juicy fives, and a manitou coil over w/spv rear shock. it has a 1.5" headtube and a lifetime frame warranty. $2350 USD... (original MSRP $3200)

so, help a newbie out, is this a good deal/good bike?
    - j

No, that's not phonetic
    From a component standpoint, that is a pretty solid deal. I would not hesitate. Devinci bikes have a reputation for being durable, and the machining and assembly work on the bikes is very nice. I don't know much about the geometry though. I took a spin on a Magma a while back and the head angle seemed pretty steep to me, and the back end felt tall, but it had some lower-end/lower-travel Zoke on it and that probably dropped the front too much. If you can take it out for a test spin and the handling agrees with you, I'd say go for it. The Pike is a great fork, the J5s are ok (unless it is very wet where you live), and the rest sounds solid.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    That's been the one thing about this bike that I've questioned. The head angle. I think it's around 70 as opposed to most bikes in the range I've been looking at , around 68. Everything else about it is great, and the parts package for the money is what really gets me. Is this really a major differnce in head angle. Am I being too picky?

There's no app for this.

What Tscheesy said

on paper they look great and they're a very well made and well designed/researched bike. I swung a leg over a Remix and it simply didn't't fit me and felt more XC than expected; conversely a test ride on a similar Spec. Comp FSR proved perfect. I highly recommend you ride one first if you can. That might be hard, but that's my best advice.

Jim

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jp444
    Trying to get some input/advice on the spending of my hard earned money....

Looking right now at a brand new 2005 Devinci Magma (same thing as the Guzzler and very similiar, if not the same as the remix) with Rockshox Pike Team U-turn up to 140mm, remote lockout.....Saint hubs, rotors, & derailers....race face crankset, stem, handlebar,...avid juicy fives, and a manitou coil over w/spv rear shock. it has a 1.5" headtube and a lifetime frame warranty. $2350 USD... (original MSRP $3200)

so, help a newbie out, is this a good deal/good bike?
    - j
    Not a bad deal. Keep in mind that the Guzzler and Magma are not in production anymore and you might be able to get an even better deal if you haggle a bit. The parts spec is nice and worth the price though. Devinci was selling the US frames without the Horst Link. Does the Magma you are looking at have the pivot on the CS?

Both the Guzzler and the Magma were on my short list a while back. The lack of a piggy back shock deterred me somewhat. Anyways, Devinci builds a very nice bike. Good welds and use needle bearings at the pivot points. The Magma is not the same frame as the Remix as it has extra gussets and heft.

No, that's not phonetic
    I don't think you are being too picky on the HA. 70 and 68 are very different in terms of how they make the bike feel. 70 is too steep for anything other than pure xc in my opinion. You just end up fighting the bike in the steeps rather than enjoying the ride. Find out what axle-to-crown fork height the geometry is based on. The Pike is a 518mm A-C. If the Magma was based on a 500mm A-C, then the Pike will slacken the HA a little (to about 69).

Too steep a HA can ruin a bike...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    are you looking at the one in atlantic bicycles in Lauderdale. I checked that one out myself, I just don't have the cash for it. If it is in S Florida that head angle won't be so bad at markham and such I would imagine. But I don't ride down there much.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jp444
    That's been the one thing about this bike that I've questioned. The head angle. I think it's around 70 as opposed to most bikes in the range I've been looking at , around 68. Everything else about it is great, and the parts package for the money is what really gets me. Is this really a major differnce in head angle. Am I being too picky?
    The guzzler/magma was on my shortlist in 2005 and I researched them like crazy (ended up with a heckler). The geometry is almost identical to the turner five spot and I can guarantee the head angle is slacker than 70 degrees. It is a much different bike than the remix line - burlier and more capable on the DH. Buy it - devinci makes great stuff!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller
    The guzzler/magma was on my shortlist in 2005 and I researched them like crazy (ended up with a heckler). The geometry is almost identical to the turner five spot and I can guarantee the head angle is slacker than 70 degrees. It is a much different bike than the remix line - burlier and more capable on the DH. Buy it - devinci makes great stuff!
    I just looked up the geometry on the devinci website (go to the archives - 2005). The head angle is 66.8 degrees for the small and extra small sizes, 67.3 for the medium and 67.8 for the large. now go get it!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yea, i got that 70 degree spec from somewhere on the net.

thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. i went to the shop a few days ago and put the bike on layaway. the owner felt bad as i was a liitle short on cash, so he told me to take it out for the day and have fun. i have no more worries about it, cause after riding...this bike is perfect. she comes home with me this friday (payday)

thanks again guys,
    -j

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

... and if we just ...

Great bike for all mountain riding.

Actually I just bought one from Atlantic, I think mine is a 2004. If you go to Atlantic bikes ask for Santiago and tell him Ben sent you, he will give you a good deal.

Having a hard time deciding what fork to put on it. Im thinking a Pike or marzocchi 4x. This is my secondary bike and it basically needs to be adjustable for when friends ( guys and girls ) want to ride.

Any thoughts/ suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The 2004 specs say 67.5 HA on the small