mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Need some advice - 2008 Trek Fuel EX8

Hey everyone! Need a little advice about my new purchase. Just picked up a 2008 Trek Fuel EX8.

Geezus, what a pain this thing has been. Should have known something was wrong when the guy wouldn't let me come to his house. Lesson learned: I won't buy another used bike without taking it on a trail first. It was basically rigged enough to make a sell.

The first big ride I knew I had problems. Chain slipping badly on climbs, front brake wasn't working correctly, and the rear was making a ton of creaking noise. New cassette/chain, front caliper rebuild kit, and new bearings in the rear...after a few weeks of waiting on parts, I finally got to take my bike out and everything seems to be great now. Except for my confidence in the bike. See below:

Long story short, while I was trying to hunt the chain slip issue I noticed a huge gash mark on the inside of the triangle. A couple of cm's deep in the aluminum. Looks like it's been rubbed by tire over a period of time. Haven't figured out how that happened yet. Pretty sure the previous owner must have had a different wheelset.

Anywho...I've been on the hunt for a new triangle to replace it because I'm picky about my stuff. Didn't take me long to stumble across multiple threads about people cracking/breaking the rear triangle on Trek Fuels.

I'm kind of bummed now. I feel like it's a matter of time before I have the same thing happen. Seems like it's super common.

What makes me feel a little better is it seems people have had some good luck by working with their LBS on getting a replacement under warranty. Apparently the pre-2010 stuff had lifetime warranties? That's for the original owner, of course.

Thoughts?

T.W.O.
    Holy crap!, sorry to hear that you got a bum deal. Got pic?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just finished up a nice weekend of riding. Put about 20 miles worth of rough terrain on it with only minor hiccups.

Here are some pics of the bike with the damage I mentioned above:

Tried to get the best pics I could. The gash is about 1-2mm deep. The edge of the tire lines up with it perfectly. I was doing some pretty fast downhill today and I noticed on hard right turns I was hearing some rubbing...I'm assuming in this spot since I don't see any other places.

I can get the tire to hit the frame if I put some pretty good pressure on it by hand. Should there be any give whatsoever?

I also have some popping noise coming from the Evo link. I greased the bearings but it's probably time for a change since I noticed the upper two had some catches in them. Ugh...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Figured out the rubbing issue. Previous owner was running a 2.35 on the back. Not enough clearance on hard turns. Sheeesh.