Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help with a play bike

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  johnwesley 
#1 ·
I'm 39 yrs old and use to do xc riding. I still have my old xc fs bike and ride it some. My kids are into bikes right now and I'm looking to get something fun to horse around with them on. Right now they are not real big into the trail scene so we mainly ride round the old abandoned school where I ride the stairs and do some drops off old building slabs. Nothing big jut like 3-4' drops. We also play around in the old gravel pit where we have some nice DH short runs with a few 6' ish drops and lots of rock. I have set up a course for them to learn a few jumps and bunny hops over small logs and such. So that is our main riding. My XC isn't exactly liking some of this treatment. So I am looking for a bike to just play around on. The bikes I am looking at are: Jamis Komodo , Santa Cruz chameleon, kona shred, and the wild card would be a kona Taro.
I have found a old se filth flyer that may fill the need. What would be your thoughts on the right bike for this?

#3 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. I've never played in this area of bikes before. Just got back from a 4 hr ride with the kids on some MTB trails. Diffently keeping the XC bike. I'd like to keep it in the 1300 and under range. I've been searching Craigslist for a few weeks.

#5 ·
I have looked at that and it looks nice with geometry that is close. The chain stay is just a few mm longer than what I was looking for. I "think" I would like something with no more than 420mm chain stay. Looking for something that is easy to manual. I would love to try some of these bikes out but I live in a small town, so a dealer with these types of bikes are 4hr plus away. The thing is I would hate to buy one and then it's not what I thought I was getting. Thank for all the reaponces and keep them coming.

#7 ·
Mimi.
I've looked them over and like the jackal geo much better. Looked over some fr fs stuff. Found the transition double that looks nice, but ill need to find a used one and that is proving difficult. The pivot looks like a nice fs as well but with longer cs. So many options out there but very few people carry any of them.

#10 ·
I've gone with he SE with a shram 7 kit. Nice bike and a lot easier to handle than the xc on street and DJ. Fun bike and on sale at jenson for $500. This is the first DJ fork and have always heard they were stiff. This isn't ant stiffer than my XC air fork. May be I just like them on the firm side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.