mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Need help picking a frame.

I have some used parts I want to build into a complete bike. Here is a list of the parts...

XTR FC-M951 crankset
    XTR ST-M910 8 speed Rapid Fire Shifters
    XTR 8 speed rear derailleur
    XTR BR-M951 V-Brakes
    XT front triple
    XT hubs on unknown (too lazy to go look) rims (These are the best spare wheels I have)

Now, I want to build a bike with these parts and have a nice bike in the end. My problem is how much do I spend on a frame for this build? I would prefer a used frame as a new one I think would be too expensive.

How much do I spend on a frame before it becomes too much? Also, how little do I spend before the parts out match the frame?

I have two frames now, a 1993 Giant ATX 770. and a 95/96 Kona Hahana. For a fork, I have an older trek air shock and an old rigid fork (Trek), but as of now, I have no idea what I will use.

The Kona was worth around $400 and the Giant around $750 when the were new. Is this a good indication of how good a frame they are?

Any ideas?

Many Thanks,
    Ian

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just saw a Stumpjumper for sale ($50) and I'm going to get it tomorrow. This should be a good frame for a build like this, no?

I'm guessing this bike is about a 1994, or so. In 94/95 this bike had a rigid fork, didn't it? The suspension fork on it now does not look right, the angle is all wrong.
    Need help picking a frame.-specialized.jpeg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That is a steel frame and what looks to be a 94 or 95 Judy fork. I would ask on the vintage forum, for more info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrocks View Post
    That is a steel frame and what looks to be a 94 or 95 Judy fork. I would ask on the vintage forum, for more info.
    You're right, I should have posted there.

Ian

Members who have read this thread: 0