mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Need help looking for a Hard Tail

I posted something like this in the wrong forum and was kindly redirected here so i'll try and be as complete in my question as possible. Please keep in mind that i'm completely new to this sport but i've been looking for a few months while I try to make best use of my hard earned money

1) Your budget. How much do you have to spend on the bicycle (not including accessories such as helmet, gloves and other accessories).
    I'd like to keep it under 1000 but can go up to 1500

2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? (Please try to limit the selection to a handful if at all possible, and provide links to those bikes. Remember, we don't always know the exact specs of all the bikes out there!)
    Jamis (Durango, Dakota, Komodo), Specialized(RockHopper XL Expert) and Giant (XTC 1)

3) What type of riding do you intend to do? (e.g. Cross Country, Freeride, Downhill, paved paths)
    So far a majority of my riding will include trail riding(improved paths), street(under 1 hour rides) and hopefully as i get better, some trails in the mountains.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?
    Basically sold on HT since entry in the FS seems a lot more epxensive for a quality build. I did look at the Giant trance X4

5) Age, weight and height. (In many instances very important for a variety of reasons).
    34, 230, 5'8". I lift weights as a hobby and i'm looking for a good way for exercise as well to sub for running.

6) What sources will you consider buying from? (e.g. Your Local Bike Shop, online vendors, or used bike sources such as mtbr classifieds, craigslist, ebay and others)
    I'd like to support a local bike shop but would rather not go in to it blind.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?
    Sure would, any extra information would be great. I am really looking for something built since i don't have the knowledge or know-how yet to build one.

Thank you and hopefully i placed this in the right section and asked the right questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I also wanted to add that most of the mountain type trails in the area are hiker oriented and not rock parks. Some smaller drop offs from what i've seen but I would definitely be interested in doing more mountain type riding as i get better adjusted to riding and more skilled. I'm not too sure how backwards compatible these bikes are.

Can I get an all mountain bike and ride it mostly on improved paths to start or will it be too much work and uncomfortable? I'd hate to get an AM and find out any riding on the streets makes me miserable as well as get used to an all XC bike and find out anything but the most forgiving mountain trail is too much for the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i'd test ride the rockhopper or xtc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After a lot of looking around and research online I have decided to purchase a 2009 Jamis Dakota Comp for myself and a 2010 Jamis Race for my girlfriend. Look forward to joining the ranks of mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Very nice!Best bang for the buck in the business if you ask me.Would it be rude to ask how much you paid for it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    1400 for the Comp and no, not rude at all.