mtbr member
    Feb 2009

New question here. Need help IDing old Rockhopper FS frame

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up an old Rockhopper FS frame that I am thinking would make a good base for my first hardtail (my other bike is a fully rigid). The problem is I'll need a new fork but have no idea how much travel the original fork had.

I was hoping to look up the bike on bikepedia.com, and get the specs for the original fork, but I am having trouble pinpointing the exact year. Even if I knew the year, it seems like just knowing the name of the fork alone is often not enough to figure out the travel. Do you guys have any suggestions/advice?

Here's the picture of the frame in question (ignore the rusty parts, it's a nice, light steel frame ):

A list of the some of the writing on the decals I see:
    Specialized Rockhopper FS
    Direct drive
    Chromoly, Custom butted

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I'd say that it'd be a 96 model, there's no photo in the link but it's sounds like a match.
    The bike would of probably had a 60mm fork on it but you should be alright putting on a 80mm fork.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1996&Brand=Specialized&Model=Rockhopper%20FS&Type=bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

It's a 1993 fs frame.

Exactly the same I own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hugh`s bicycle blog: Specialized RockHopper FS 1993 model

The fork was in the era of rockshock Mag 10/21 days, with the Quadra 10/21 in the lower end. ~45-50mm was typical travel, and the long travel options went up to the 60mm mark.

when the Judy was released in 94, it was a 65mm fork.