mtbr member
    May 2013

Need Help Identifying this bike.

Hi,
    I'm a really beginner from Sri Lanka and i recently started riding. I don't really do mountain biking but i really love bikes and i only use my bike daily to go to gym which is around 6 miles away from my home.

I recently purchased this bike from local dealer which is a used bike for my daily work which was in recently good condition. In detail, clearly the frame has been re-painted and original decals has been removed and installed with seems to be aftermarket decals. most of the parts are from shimano deore XT series and it had Da bomb bazooka carbon fiber handle bar, crank is Hussefelt and front shock is and RST probably a Gila. its a dual disc bike with shimano disc rotors. The serial number resides at the down side of the bottom bracket CSC2002151. The frame is somewhat similar to schwinn mesa series frame but i couldn't track the serial number for schwinn or any other brand. The bike itself is really featherweight and well equipped. The reason I'm posting this is to clarify whether this is a branded bike or just a bike made in China or Taiwan. The pics are attached below. If someone could identify the frame or model that would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Need Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00045.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00031.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00032.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00033.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00034.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00035.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00036.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00037.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00038.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00039.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00040.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00041.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00042.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00043.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20130511-00044.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow, it looks like that bike shop was looking to clear off some shelves, quite an interesting collection of parts.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Wow, it looks like that bike shop was looking to clear off some shelves, quite an interesting collection of parts.
    any idea about the model or frame??

mtbr member
    That real triangle looks familiar, but no,sorry.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The reason I'm posting this is to clarify whether this is a branded bike or just a bike made in China or Taiwan.
    Branded bike frames (even the good ones) are mostly made in China and Taiwan.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    With the "Ala-Cart" build kits out there, ya just never know. Most everything there is recognizable, and possibly could be dated according to the mix but even at that, You'll prolly find out when someone recognizes it as exactly the same as his "?????????"

Titanium junkie
    It's a Schwinn, probably a Moab....
    Schwinn used that seat stay for years.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    It's a Schwinn, probably a Moab....
    Schwinn used that seat stay for years.
    that is also what i thought

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    What Schwinn had drop outs like those ?

Schwinn wasn't the only brand that used the wishbone seat stay design.

Titanium junkie
    You are correct, come to think of it Schwinn had that chain stay that looked bent.
    Ok, I give, don't know what it is.......
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Found some photos of a Schwinn Frontier with the same dropouts.

Need Help Identifying this bike.-schwinn_2011_frontier_expert_6_800_vls.jpg
    Need Help Identifying this bike.-schwinn_2011_frontier_expert_5_800_vls.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Found some photos of a Schwinn Frontier with the same dropouts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schwinn_2011_Frontier_Expert_6_800_vls.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	803790
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schwinn_2011_Frontier_Expert_5_800_vls.JPG 
Views:	417 
Size:	322.2 KB 
ID:	803791
    they seems identical :O which year is this, GSD or GSX??

It's about showing up.
    It is a frankenbike, for sure. The levers look like older LXs, the crank arms seem to read Truvativ as well. The wheels match but the skewers don't and the red stem?

That said it looks well put together and the cable routing is tidy. This should be a fun bike.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What is a frankenbike? Crank arms are Truvativ but crank wheels are bontrager , red stem is a Kore lite 3 i guess . previously i had 2 bikes around 4,5 years back so i sort of know about servicing, adjustments etc, so i did all the servicing and cable adjustments of this bike my self . Bike actually rides well, really smooth, no noises or what so ever after servicing. front shock has a little bit of play even i serviced and cleaned it completely. So i ordered a suntour xcr fork which is good for road usage.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by prabarshana View Post
    What is a frankenbike?
    Your bike.

A frankenbike is bike put together with all sorts of components, it's not a bike you can look up the specs on as none of the parts are original.

Those photos were from a 2011 Frontier Elite, that year model has the brake & shifter cables on the underside of the top tube so it isn't the same year as yours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would wager the highest percentage of bikes are Frankenbikes- I know mine are. That's what makes it fun looking at pics like these.

It's about showing up.
    My baby is a '95 Bontrager Racelite. Well, actually the frame, the seatbolt clamp and the anti-chainsuck plate are from the original. Everything else was added on over the years. I made some nice upgrades when it was stripped down and powdercoated in a refurbishment in 2008; carbon fiber, XTR, custom wheels, Ti bits. Sooo not a frankenbike.

Masterofnone said: "it looks like that bike shop was looking to clear off some shelves, quite an interesting collection of parts." Sometimes these bikes are referred to as a "parts bin" bikes.

One of my son's bikes is a true frankenbike; a seemingly disharmonious assembly of parts which makes sense only when you ride it. We just got lucky with colors.

The Ascent is a true Frankenbike. I found the frame new,with a scratch, at the shop for $50, combined two different Bomber shocks to make one that worked, pulled a mix of components (coda, shimano, avid, cane creek) out of my parts bins and, voila! Not a bad bike. Note the yellow stem. Sold it for $250 about 11 years ago and it is still being ridden.

Congrats on the purchase but, please, do me a favor and change that stem color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help Identifying this bike.-bontie852.jpg  

Need Help Identifying this bike.-mtbrm232311.jpg  

Need Help Identifying this bike.-ascentmtbr.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post

Congrats on the purchase but, please, do me a favor and change that stem color.
    Thanks and sorry for the long delay to reply. I actually change the stem to raceface forged one black. And found out ant*les is a japanese bike brand after a much research Its known as 'antales' which is a very rare bike brand outside the japan. Y'sRoad100yrs history?Y'sRoad. Now the brand is renamed as ant*res which is mainly focus on road bikes.ANTARES | Y's Collection?????????? . http://www.brandbicycle.jp/YS%20ANTARES1_R.JPG Anyway, I also received a 2005 model gt avalanche 0.5 frame which was manufactured in 2010 which i was hoping to swap the parts from antales to it. Any way it has received some new parts including front fork, shimano 10 speed cassette, deore front derailer and some small upgrades. Now its been stripped down to polish the bare metal since i dont like the orange with lot of touch-ups

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by prabarshana View Post
    I also received a 2005 model gt avalanche 0.5 frame which was manufactured in 2010
    That doesn't sound right.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    That doesn't sound right.
    well u are right i actually clarified with a japanese guy working with us today. it actually says registered in 2010. So my bad

mtbr member
    May 2013

Hope This is the current state of the bike :)

Need Help Identifying this bike.-img-20131013-00067.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20131013-00068.jpgNeed Help Identifying this bike.-img-20131018-00078.jpg

It's about showing up.
    Nice job dude!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks