mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Need help with frame size for Norco FAZE 3.0

INFO

i am unsure if a Medium Norco Faze 3.0 is the correct frame size for me due to my inexperience of purchasing MTBs. Salesman is helpful and knowledgeable (only one store in town) but model im looking at is older stock and he seems eager to get rid of it.

MAIN QUESTION

which size: M or L model would suit my needs? norco letter sizing is strange; dosent specify inches, even in buyers guide or catalogues. salesman measured seat stem and came to 17". i am unsure of the inch length the L is. Dealer dosent have L and cannot get one.

SPECS

- im 5'10, 220. my inseam is approximatley 31"
    - im keen on the XC race model, im looking for all around xc and speed, which the faze seems to suit my needs. used for moslty trail riding, some offroading. the deal being offered is really great, and there is really no other model in stock that interests me.

TEST SPIN and MORE QUESTIONS

took the bike out for a test spin. it took some adjustsments, like rear suspension tuning for my wieght (fyi im a weighlifter), seat stem height and seat forward/back adjustments. i felt my weight moslty towards the back, but could it be due to further adjusting needed? My larger weight? I felt like my wieght needed to be propeled a little more toward the handlebars. seat stem only had about an inch or two more before it would pop out of frame, this concerned me a little -- should seat post be raised this much, is this normal? or is L needed? considering the its a great deal, is this possible problem a non-no?

CONCLUSION

does it seem like a M would be ok for me based on my specs and test spin? its a more expensive model and i want to be sure of what im buying. due to my lack a expereince, i would like to know if the problems i faced are 'adjustable' or am i in the incorrect frame size.

thank you!

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

There's no app for this.

yep...agreed...

never mind the frame size, get the right top tube length. I'm almost identical to you in height and inseam, and \I need 23.5" or 24" TT measurement. (5'10.5", 31" inseam)

The bike should feel comfortable when you sit and ride it. If it doesn't feel right, saddle adjustments can help by moving it back and forward slightly.

Good luck, Jim

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by irata
    seat stem only had about an inch or two more before it would pop out of frame, this concerned me a little -- should seat post be raised this much, is this normal?
    thank you!
    The seat post should have at least 3-4" of insertion into the frame.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and ride a Large 08 Norco Fluid (similar bike to the Faze, just has more travel). It fits very well.

Good choice with the Norco, I can't say enough good things about my bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks for the help everyone. looks like a L would suit me much better. Im inquiring about the the fluid now also. that seat post certainly did not have 3-4" of embedded post into the frame, im sure of that.

erik031: is your L fluid an 18"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by irata
    thanks for the help everyone. looks like a L would suit me much better. Im inquiring about the the fluid now also. that seat post certainly did not have 3-4" of embedded post into the frame, im sure of that.

erik031: is your L fluid an 18"?
    As you indicated in your earlier post the s,m,l,xl sizing chart requires a slight bit of interpretation if you want to equate it to a traditional 16,18,20" size.

I ride a Fluid 2.0
    http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/.../fluid_two.php

Using the numbers provided in the sizing and geometry chart the large equates to approximately an 18.5" frame.

I live and ride in Victoria British Columbia and I'd characterize myself as an "aggressive cross country rider" or an "all mountain" rider. Depending on how daring you are and the local terrain this may translate to "freerider" in other parts of the world.

I mentioned earlier that the bike fits me very well, I'll ellaborate a little bit.

I''m able to get stretched out enough to stay over the front wheel while climbing (lots of short steep climbs around here) and when descending I feel like I'm in total control of the bike. The bike also feels very comfortable in the air on jumps and drops.