Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help finding 39.8 (40MM) Quick release seatpost clamp for Trek Fuel 110

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bruce M 
#1 ·
I just bought a Trek Fuel 110 Team bike (love it so far). Only problem is I want a quick release seatpost clamp but can't seem to find anyone who makes/sells one that big.

The clamp says 39.8

Any help would be great

Thanks

Erik

#2 ·
Before you go any further I'd suggest measuring the top of your seat tube just to be sure.
Also, I'm not sure it's a good idea to be using a quick release on carbon. I don't really have anything to support this comment, but when I got a carbon frame in the mid 90s it also did not come with a QR seatpost collar (back then everything was quick release) so I made the assumption (correct or not) that maybe it wasn't a good idea to be frequently clamping/releasing/reclamping carbon. Once again, this is complete speculation on my part so anyone with more knowledge of CF, feel free to chime in.

#3 ·
That's to keep the weight down

Anyone buing a carbon frame is willing to spend 1000$-1500$ more for a frame to cut weight. Therefore virtually all Carbon Frames come with bolt seat post clamps.
They are 15-20 grams lighter than their quick release conterpart.

It has nothing to do with the mechanism.
The bolt on a quick release tightens exactly the same as a bolt on hex tightenable clamp.

The only difference is you are using your hand vs. a hex tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.