mtbr member
    Sep 2011

need help with choosing a stem

i bought my bike on craigslist. ive rode it about 6 times and every time i ride after about 10 minutes my hands start going numb and my upper back hurts. its a 19" frame and im 5'10". i think i need a 17" but im trying to make this one work. the stem on it is a bit long so im hoping i can get a shorter stem. if i could get my handlebars right on top of the headset that would probably be perfect. any suggestions? im looking to spend no more than $30ish. thanks for any advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails need help with choosing a stem-bike.jpg  

need help with choosing a stem-stem.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You may be pushing pretty tough to fit onto a bike that's the wrong size for you. Make sure your saddle is at the right height, but also make sure it's correct fore to aft position. From there then worry about your handlebar....and if you really need it to be in line with the head set you might be in trouble. That said you can get some really short stems, and some really upright ones for not too much. If you look online there are a number of options available but try and get an idea first rather than just getting the shortest one you can. You can probably get something like a 70mm with like 40 deg upright angle but that isn't a recommendation just a statement that they exist out there. That said changing your stem around drastically will also change how the bike steers from the riders perspective. You can get stems for under $30 if you look around.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    2015 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2015 Gravity Bullseye Monster LTD
    2012 Trek 4900
    1993 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you for the help. i adjusted my seat positioning. i think if i could get the handlebars right in front of the headset that would be perfect. and im gonna get some handlebars with a slight rise.

mtbr member
    35mm is as short as they get, thats going to be right in front of the stem. Either look second hand or ask about take offs at local bike stores, I got my 40mm as a takeoff for $16. As kwikshift said though, you would be a lot better off with a bike that fit you in the first place...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    First, level your seat and get it to the right height. A good starting point is The Lemond method, measure your true inseam and multiply by .88. This is the starting point for your saddle to the center of the bottom bracket height. Then level your seat out with it just a bit nose up. Try that for a week and see how it feels.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Members who have read this thread: 0