mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Need help choosing among Superlite, Tomac Revolver, Jamis XLT 2.0 and Ventana Chamuco

Hey fellas,
    So heres my problem:

I'm looking for a bike which can take abuse yet climb well for around 1500 or less. Around here there are pretty tough climbs with rapid and rugged decents.

Today, I went to my local bike store and tested these bike models:

1. Santa Cruz Superlight-D ($1500) - mega shimano shifters, rock shox tora

2. Tomac Revolver ($1600) - manitou black elite, hfx 9

3. Ventana El Chamuco ($1650) - fox rl, x-7 derrailer, avid bb7

4. Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 ($1550) - minute 3, swinger 4 way spv, xt components, juicy 7

{out the door prices}

Pleaaase help me with my choice! I need help with my decision soon, as i will likely be purchasing a bike within these few days. Is the XLT 2.0 (with xt and minute 3 a better buy than the superlight D with pretty crappy stuff??- rock shox tora)

THANKS ALOT!!

-zippyzoom

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    After buying a Ventana... I would have to say the Ventana without a doubt.

Reasons?

"A bike that can take abuse" - The superlight is not that bike. It is a great racer type bike, and can be pressed into other service. It's not meant to be a heavier duty trailbike. I'd look at a Heckler instead if looking at a Santa Cruz.

Tomac Revolver - Is Tomac still in business? Also check the Lightspeed/Tomac board and see if there is any reports of undue failure with the Revolvers.

Dakar - Good bike for the coin. I've ridden a Dakar a few years back and it was a good riding bike. Can't say anything bad.

Ventana - Great company, and the bikes ride great. (Hit the Ventana board below for some testomonials ). Also designed to take a bit of abuse.

With any of the bikes, good luck. They've got different personalities, but should all be fun rides.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by ZIPPYZOOM
    Hey fellas,
    So heres my problem:

I'm looking for a bike which can take abuse yet climb well for around 1500 or less. Around here there are pretty tough climbs with rapid and rugged decents.

Today, I went to my local bike store and tested these bike models:

1. Santa Cruz Superlight-D ($1500) - mega shimano shifters, rock shox tora

2. Tomac Revolver ($1600) - manitou black elite, hfx 9

3. Ventana El Chamuco ($1650) - fox rl, x-7 derrailer, avid bb7

4. Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 ($1550) - minute 3, swinger 4 way spv, xt components, juicy 7

{out the door prices}

Pleaaase help me with my choice! I need help with my decision soon, as i will likely be purchasing a bike within these few days. Is the XLT 2.0 (with xt and minute 3 a better buy than the superlight D with pretty crappy stuff??- rock shox tora)

THANKS ALOT!!

-zippyzoom
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    After buying a Ventana... I would have to say the Ventana without a doubt.Reasons?
    "A bike that can take abuse" - The superlight is not that bike. It is a great racer type bike, and can be pressed into other service. It's not meant to be a heavier duty trailbike. I'd look at a Heckler instead if looking at a Santa Cruz.
    Ventana - Great company, and the bikes ride great. (Hit the Ventana board below for some testomonials ). Also designed to take a bit of abuse.
    With any of the bikes, good luck. They've got different personalities, but should all be fun rides.JmZ
    I would 2nd the Ventana. To throw another in on you the SC Heckler, climbs & decends with power, quite the bad boy frame .

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well I'd say the Ventana.
    But then I'm biased

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thanks

Thank you for all your replies. I went ahead and got a Iron Horse MKIII comp, cause i got it at such a good deal and heard good things about the DW-link system. It should arrive in a week. I cant wait to have fun on it!!! I'll tell you how it is when i get it!!

-The Zippster

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Santa Cruz

SANTA CRUZ NO QUESTION- it also depends what you put on it.