mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Need help choosing among Superlite, Tomac Revolver, Jamis XLT 2.0 and Ventana Chamuco

Hey fellas,
    So heres my problem:

I'm looking for a bike which can take abuse yet climb well for around 1500 or less. Around here there are pretty tough climbs with rapid and rugged decents.

Today, I went to my local bike store and tested these bike models:

1. Santa Cruz Superlight-D ($1500) - mega shimano shifters, rock shox tora

2. Tomac Revolver ($1600) - manitou black elite, hfx 9

3. Ventana El Chamuco ($1650) - fox rl, x-7 derrailer, avid bb7

4. Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 ($1550) - minute 3, swinger 4 way spv, xt components, juicy 7

{out the door prices}

Pleaaase help me with my choice! I need help with my decision soon, as i will likely be purchasing a bike within these few days. Is the XLT 2.0 (with xt and minute 3 a better buy than the superlight D with pretty crappy stuff??- rock shox tora)

THANKS ALOT!!

-zippyzoom

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    After buying a Ventana... I would have to say the Ventana without a doubt.

Reasons?

"A bike that can take abuse" - The superlight is not that bike. It is a great racer type bike, and can be pressed into other service. It's not meant to be a heavier duty trailbike. I'd look at a Heckler instead if looking at a Santa Cruz.

Tomac Revolver - Is Tomac still in business? Also check the Lightspeed/Tomac board and see if there is any reports of undue failure with the Revolvers.

Dakar - Good bike for the coin. I've ridden a Dakar a few years back and it was a good riding bike. Can't say anything bad.

Ventana - Great company, and the bikes ride great. (Hit the Ventana board below for some testomonials ). Also designed to take <b><i>a bit</b></i> of abuse.

With any of the bikes, good luck. They've got different personalities, but should all be fun rides.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by ZIPPYZOOM
    Hey fellas,
    So heres my problem:

I'm looking for a bike which can take abuse yet climb well for around 1500 or less. Around here there are pretty tough climbs with rapid and rugged decents.

Today, I went to my local bike store and tested these bike models:

1. Santa Cruz Superlight-D ($1500) - mega shimano shifters, rock shox tora

2. Tomac Revolver ($1600) - manitou black elite, hfx 9

3. Ventana El Chamuco ($1650) - fox rl, x-7 derrailer, avid bb7

4. Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 ($1550) - minute 3, swinger 4 way spv, xt components, juicy 7

{out the door prices}

Pleaaase help me with my choice! I need help with my decision soon, as i will likely be purchasing a bike within these few days. Is the XLT 2.0 (with xt and minute 3 a better buy than the superlight D with pretty crappy stuff??- rock shox tora)

THANKS ALOT!!

-zippyzoom
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    After buying a Ventana... I would have to say the Ventana without a doubt.Reasons?
    "A bike that can take abuse" - The superlight is not that bike. It is a great racer type bike, and can be pressed into other service. It's not meant to be a heavier duty trailbike. I'd look at a Heckler instead if looking at a Santa Cruz.
    Ventana - Great company, and the bikes ride great. (Hit the Ventana board below for some testomonials ). Also designed to take a bit of abuse.
    With any of the bikes, good luck. They've got different personalities, but should all be fun rides.JmZ
    I would 2nd the Ventana. To throw another in on you the SC Heckler, climbs & decends with power, quite the bad boy frame .

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well I'd say the Ventana.
    But then I'm biased

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thanks

Thank you for all your replies. I went ahead and got a Iron Horse MKIII comp, cause i got it at such a good deal and heard good things about the DW-link system. It should arrive in a week. I cant wait to have fun on it!!! I'll tell you how it is when i get it!!

-The Zippster

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Santa Cruz

SANTA CRUZ NO QUESTION- it also depends what you put on it.