mtbr member

New question here. Need a good but cheap-ish frame w/shock

Preferably with some kind of efficiency system similar to i-drive or dwlink.

I'm looking to spend <200-300$, maybe someone out there has a used one they'd be willing to part with?

Are Sette frames like this one any good? This is out of my price range but I'm still curious.

mtbr member
    That is a very good frame for that price. This is probably the cheapest suspension frame out there http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+2008+Oe.aspx that I can find. Personally I would go with the Sette. Any particular reason you want to build a full suspension bike? What is your max budget for the whole bike? you may be able to pick up a whole Sette Ace or Flite for the price of what you want to spend. I can tell you, that with new parts you will never be able to make a full Suspension bike for less than what the Sette Ace Costs. You can also check out Ibex, they are having some good deals going on there bikes. They actually have full suspension starting at 600 dollars I believe.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I already have good parts on my hardtail, just looking to swap the frame out on it for a suspension one for serious riding and eventually build a 2nd bike with the leftovers.

The frame's the last thing I need, so I'm basically looking for the best thing I can get on a tight budget.

Would never buy an fs bike for 600.. that's suicidal!

mtbr member
    unless you have a 6 inch travel front shock (160mm) than I would stay away from the flite. I never said the 600 dollar Ibex was good, just pointing out that it is there. Also if you plan on using old stuff, make sure it will work with the new frame. Bottom Brackets, head tubes, and a few other things are different from bike to bike.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    unless you have a 6 inch travel front shock (160mm) than I would stay away from the flite. I never said the 600 dollar Ibex was good, just pointing out that it is there. Also if you plan on using old stuff, make sure it will work with the new frame. Bottom Brackets, head tubes, and a few other things are different from bike to bike.
    Thanks. What is the reason I need a 160mm fork for that frame? I have an 08 marz xc600, 130/140mm. I guess the Ace frame fits that better.

Are there any good places besides craigslist/ebay to look for used/OE frames, and what names if any should I be looking for in this price range?

mtbr member
    Bump. Anyone with used/new suspension frames out there for sale?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    you dont "need" a 160mm fork for the flite (or any 6" fs bike).

for your price range, youre never going to find anything new. I have never run into one cheaper thats worth anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What size are you looking at?I will have a Mongoose Canaan Team frame in size large for sale soon.Don't let the "Mongoose" name scare you,this is a high end frame with their version of the iDrive suspension(both GT and Mongoose are made by the same company)called Freedrive.Comes with an Fox RP23 shock and it's hardly ridden so it is in solid shape,I bought it new last year.

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/...8--Canaan-Team

Hmm,I guess it may be a little too XC'ish for you?The Sette frame is nice and people seem to like them.

Chris
    Last edited by CRed; 08-20-2009 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am in the process of converting my hardtail to an AM FS bike, and I think at 5' 7-8'' your frame would be too large for me.

I think I will save up for the Sette Flite, I don't think having a 140mm fork on it will harm it in any way, it's sexy, and the reviews I've seen for it are mostly glowing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daylight
    Yeah, I am in the process of converting my hardtail to an AM FS bike, and I think at 5' 7-8'' your frame would be too large for me.

I think I will save up for the Sette Flite, I don't think having a 140mm fork on it will harm it in any way, it's sexy, and the reviews I've seen for it are mostly glowing.
    Yeah,way too big for you,I'm 5' 10" and it is a bit long for me.

Look at KHS frames also,there's a guy on ebay that sells them for good deals and they're well regarded also.

Chris

mtbr member
    The flite has a 69* head tube angle with a 160mm fork. At 140mm, it will be 70* which is quite steep for a bike with that much travel...

mtbr member
    Typically with a frame that has a massive 6 inches of rear travel you want to match it in the rear with 6 inches in the front. You dont have too, but I would say the lowest you should go is 140mm.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    Typically with a frame that has a massive 6 inches of rear travel you want to match it in the rear with 6 inches in the front. You dont have too, but I would say the lowest you should go is 140mm.
    agreed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OP, you can get a KHS from Bob's bicycles. It is the XCT 555 I think. He is the main guy selling KHS frames on ebay. I don't think that it is a true AM bike, more of a trail bike. It takes a 130 - 140mm fork, I believe.
    Wheel World also has FS frames at good prices but not sure what they have right now. Used to have some Dawgs on there.