mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Need assistence choosing first MTB

Hey guys! I have been riding street bikes for five or so years and done a decent amount of long distance riding in that vein. However, I'm new to Mountain Biking (aside from having done some when I was a child).

I imagine that I will mostly be doing XC riding and the area that I'll be riding in this fall will be the Northwoods of Wisconsin. So, one of my main questions is whether to pursue a hardtail or a full-suspension bike. Opinions? To that end, there are two bikes that I have an inside track on at the moment. One is a mid-90's full-suspension Schwinn s9six which I know very little about. Is this a good bike? The other is a '96 hardtail Specialized Stumpjumper FS (http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...598&Type=bike).

Assume they are both the same price and in comparable used condition. Which route would be better for my experience level (extremely familiar with biking, just not MTB) and the type of riding I will be doing?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Because they are both 14 years old, you may find difficulty replacing parts for the full suspension. Full suspension bike's design changes, while hardtails are still the same hardtails.