Quiet Professional

need advice on 2 fairly inexpensive bikes.

I am not new to mountain bikes. Last bike was a giant ac2 but no longer have it. Wife and I want to get back into riding but currently don't have the money to spend on great bikes. I am looking for 2 inexpensive bikes that we can upgrade gradually. I want dual suspensions and disc brakes. I was looking at some o2 and mongoose bikes that can be upgraded and are less than 500 each. I would appreciate some advice.
    Last edited by chef7734; 05-03-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Afric Pepperbird
    Define "Jew"

Quiet Professional
    Sorry typing on my phone. I meant new. The j is right above the n and I was not paying attention to the typing. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    depends on what ya want to start from and what ya want to use it for and what models ya looking at mongoose was good back then not sure now thow

Quiet Professional
    Does not have to be mongoose or k2. I would like to.be 500 per or less to start. I will be dping bit of sh and xc and trails. Once I get back into shape as long as the frame is ok replace everything but frame or purchase a new bike. Wife does not see spending 2k up front but replacing parts one at a time till i have the 5k bike i really want. I really like the Santa cruiz bikes.
    Last edited by chef7734; 05-03-2011 at 09:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    well not sure how much you would pay for norco's in your area but in halifax n.s we have norco's for around 399 and up for basic norco but k2 do have some good looking bikes cant say for sure how they drive but here's a little idea of what you should look for first thing check parts on the bikes if they aint shimano or sram parts then ya moreless just buying a frame not sure if they sell bike with dnp parts but if so stay far away from them bike's with them parts another thing is check for frame weight try to figure out whats lighter for you and last thing try to get a bike that runs all the cassette gear or at least has back rim with cassette gears ways smoother drive but you would all ready know that i cant say for sure what you should buy because im not in your city so i wouldnt know who sells what but i can say get a somewhat light frame with cassette gears if ya can get a norco cheap go for norco if this dont help send me some models names of bike ya was looking at and i could give ya a better answer ya could always go used to thow just so u have quality maybe look on kijiji either way let me know

Quiet Professional
    The mongoose I was looking at is the xr comp. Not sure the k2 I am looking at. Diamondback is an option also.