mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Mystery frame ..... Prototype?

Bought this frame 'bout 10 years back. I few years back I threw it together with parts I had on hand (notice the clunky shifters), but it has been pretty much idle since. Dug it back out this year and ran a few laps on my loop.

The story when I bought it was that it was one of many prototypes Murray had collected when considering a move upmarket before moving out of Tennessee. It had obviously never been built and the headtube was slightly flat in front from being stored or handled poorly. The top headset cup actually has a small section of the inner shoulder cut out to allow it to fit (sorry, grew up on a farm). Used the flat headtube to get a sizeable refund on the purchase price .

Anyway, only markings anywhere on the bike is a 57 on the inside of the dropouts. Not a single other mark anywhere on the bike.

I think it's interesting, and it actually rides pretty nice, so I'll probably hold on to it (all my other bikes are GT). Just thought I'd share a few pics and see if anyone's seen a similar frame out there. I'm supposing it could be a mass product of asia, but who knows ......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mystery frame ..... Prototype?-unkn3.jpg  

Mystery frame ..... Prototype?-unkn4.jpg  

Mystery frame ..... Prototype?-unkn5.jpg  

Mystery frame ..... Prototype?-unkn6.jpg  

Mystery frame ..... Prototype?-unkn1.jpg  

Mystery frame ..... Prototype?-unkn2.jpg