mtbr member

Mystery frame - lightweight, oversize headtube

I picked this up a while back and just threw some old parts on it that were laying around. Sort of a "borrow me" bike for kids.
    It's been repainted (maybe more than once?) but the details on this frame really made me wonder what it is.

Details:

It's very light as a frame (didn't weigh but i'd say 3lb, max 4) LARGE downtube, Square chainstays, Wishbone seatstay, Hydraulic guides only, gussetted headtubes, large seat post size and 34.8 seat tube clamp size, serial number on the disc tab, and the kicker is the oversized 1.5 headtube (not tapered).

Sort of seemd like it could be a higher end frame? Or maybe it is just a random offbrand that was made with odd spec?
    (It had a Giant seat post clamp but not sure it that's original)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mystery frame - lightweight, oversize headtube-024.jpg  

Mystery frame - lightweight, oversize headtube-025.jpg  

Mystery frame - lightweight, oversize headtube-026.jpg  

Mystery frame - lightweight, oversize headtube-027.jpg  

Mystery frame - lightweight, oversize headtube-028.jpg  

Mystery frame - lightweight, oversize headtube-029.jpg  

Mystery frame - lightweight, oversize headtube-030.jpg  

Mystery frame - lightweight, oversize headtube-031.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Check out the last page on the Raw Aluminum sticky, I'm guessing it's a Giant with the mono seat stay.

mtbr member
    That top part of the seat stay, BB junction and dropouts look very different.
    I am actually considering breaking it down and stripping the frame raw, to be better than it's cheap repaint.

AZ
    banned
    Rear wheel isn't fully seated in the drop outs.

mtbr member
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Got real close if not right on.
    Giant ATX890 (890 has disc)
    Somewhere in 98 to 2000
    Last edited by theNomad; 01-07-2013 at 11:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'd say giant. It looks like a Zero stack Internal cup not a 1.5 head tube. I had the Old ATX DH bike way back then and I think it had the same Derailleur Hanger. The Serial Number is potentially telling. GJ8H Could Mean G-Giant / J - October / 8 - 1998 / H - Maybe specific to the Assembly line or something? So My guess Maybe it's a 1999 Giant XTC Hard Tail?

mtbr member
    bingo, the atx seem to have post rears but the xtc 1999 was only offered in yellow. can't seem to find any other close-ups. Looks to be a 14.5 inch model. Wonder how it'd feel with a longer stem for me at 5'9". It's lighter than my 2005 Hardrock

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    OK, my observation is about the black Mazda P5 in teh background, obviously modded due to yellow overlays on fogs............are you on mazdas247.com? I have a silver 03...............

mtbr member
    sp00j, Dont often go there anymore but yep. Will have to swap out for a fresher set of Tokico blues this weekend on the P5 and then KYB fronts for my wife's MZ3. Used to autocross a Miata and now my extended family is driving Mazdas (3s and 5).

Want a Fiberglass built in 10" sub box for the rear?