Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mystery Frame

9K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  noSheldonBrown 
#1 · (Edited)
Can anyone help me identify my borther-in-laws craigslist score..... we think it may be and older mountain cycle... but havent had any luck with finding a match... any help is appreciated..
White Brothers DC118 front fork
White Industries cranks
XTRshifters and XT derailers and brakes.
Ser # PP6460192

Attachments

See less See more
#14 · (Edited)
That bike looks familiar.

The 1998 Mongoose NX 9.5 looks similar but it's not the same.

But also looks a little like the mid-late nineties Marin full suspension designs. Definitely an interesting bike, maybe the retro forum would know better?
Definately not a Marin, I had/have a '96 Nail FRS - looks like this - previous Marins to this basically had a pair of forks mounted to the rear end (Manitou 3's or 4's if I recall)
It's probably not a Marin but they did have more then 1 full suspension design in the 'mid-late nineties'.

1997 Marin Quake 5.0
1997 Marin Rift Zone

#16 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I/we appreciate everyone trying to help us identify it. Found some really close. But still don't think we've nailed it down yet.
Who would have thought. It's like big foot or something. Except we have a clear photo of it;)

But that mongoose is pretty close...

#18 ·
Just wanted to see if anyone recognized it. A lot of people recommended this site as a helpful and knowledgeable group and suggested as such to pick your brains so to speak. This forum has been helpful...and I agree. Whatever it is (the bike)... It is beautiful. Rides great and my bro loves it. Isn't that what brought us all here in the first place. ;)

#19 ·
Honestly, it looks like a frame out of a Chinese/Taiwanese factory frame catalog that buyers can brand however they want - It's hard to put a brand to it, because,as MCS implied, it;s likely a department store frame that's had parts upgraded - like in someone's basement who has had access to several bikes to mix the parts on, so as to create several un-identifiable bikes.

Did your brother buy it at a Pawnshop or off Craigslist, by any chance?

#21 ·
You don't have to get nasty. Who cares how much it's worth?? The question was who made it. As of yet no match either way. I've had cheap bikes. This bike rides awesome. There is nothing awesome about a cheap bike. The shifters are worth more than he paid for it anyway. He bought it because he liked it. I posted it for him so he could find out who made it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.