mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New question here. Is my frame cracked?

I was cleaning my 29er ti hardtail today, prepping it to be sold (I was hoping), when I noticed what looks like a crack at the underside of the weld where the headtube meets the downtube. None of the other weld transitions look like this on the frame, they are all smooth. Looking for some opinions - here are some pics:

Also noticed these odd-ish looking welds at the seatstay-seattube junction - maybe not cracks but .....? I'm not sure. They are not rounded stacks like all the other welds.

Here is a link to a few more pics:
    Is my frame cracked? - Imgur

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Sure looks like it to me.

What travel was your front fork set to ... and what was the recommended travel for the frame?

EDIT: I checked out the other images and I dunno. It almost looks as if the bottom lip of the weld is flaking/lifting away from the down tube. I can't imagine that's a good thing, either, but I dunno.

Have you ever given your frame a close inspection before? Any chance those welds could've looked like that the entire time you've owned the frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was running a 100mm Manitou fork. I built the bike up from frame and parts, but it was the same fork (albeit with 20mm TA as opposed to QR) as was specced on the bikes I saw on the manufacturers website. I don't believe they sell this model anymore and I can't find an archived website for it but I am fairly certain they said it could handle a 120mm. There is a gusset welded to the underside of the downtube - obviously doesn't help the upper end.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    You might be OK. I bet someone with frame-welding experience will come along and let you know one way or the other.

Have you sent those pictures to the frame manufacturer and asked them?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    EDIT: I checked out the other images and I dunno. It almost looks as if the bottom lip of the weld is flaking/lifting away from the down tube. I can't imagine that's a good thing, either, but I dunno.

Have you ever given your frame a close inspection before? Any chance those welds could've looked like that the entire time you've owned the frame?
    Honestly - I was kinda thinking the same thing but I can't remember what this particular one looked like. I definitely wouldn't have up close pics of it either, but I think I would have stopped and noted it if I saw this before. I have thoroughly cleaned my bike and given it a good looking over in the past - but maybe I've noticed it now because I want to sell it. I definitely do not want to sell something that is unsafe or likely to break. I may have to bring it in to one of the local LBS's for another opinion. Still interested to hear thoughts from anyone on the interwebs.

mtbr member
    To me, it looks like your weld material is separating from your frame not that your frame itself is cracking. Hard to say really, both cases are a bummer either way. I'd say a trip to the LBS is definately in order.