Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is my Carbon frame cracked alredy?

So I got a 2013 Camber Comp Carbon 4 days ago. Have taken it up riding 3 times. Short rides (5-6 mi) since it is getting dark so early. I was checking it over and noticed two lines I had never seen before (it is possible I just never noticed them). If you run your finger across it, it is totally smooth. Either my frame is cracked or this is some lamination overlap that just showed up as an imperfection. I weigh 185, well below the limit Specialized recomends. No big drops or anything (although it SHOULD be able to take big drops). I would normally be freaking out but I do have a lifetime warranty. Any carbon experts wanna weigh in?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is my Carbon frame cracked alredy?-100_6357.jpg  

Is my Carbon frame cracked alredy?-100_6359.jpg  

Is my Carbon frame cracked alredy?-100_6358.jpg  

T.W.O.
    When you run your finger over it, you said it's smooth? Hmm, I'd bring it back to the lbs and have them take a look for sure. Is your lbs a Specialized dealer? If it still feel smooth it should not be something that you've caused. Anyone at the shop said it's ok, I'd take the phone camera and ask them to say it again on the record. You can also ask Specialized directly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Something isn't right there.. Either they patched the frame or its a crack..

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    It doesn't look any different from my frame, and I've been riding mine for over 1 yr. Your looking at unidirectional carbon layers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    It doesn't look any different from my frame, and I've been riding mine for over 1 yr. Your looking at unidirectional carbon layers.
    Unidirectional carbon layers? I will have to Google that. So far I have mixed votes on what it is.I will keep an eye on it and see if it gets bigger. Does yours have other "cracks" like this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It looks like depth to me in the picture and not a unidirectional difference in greyness of color..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by distro View Post
    It looks like depth to me in the picture and not a unidirectional difference in greyness of color..
    Depth? I am gonna take it out tomorrow for a light trrail ride and see if it grows or changes.

T.W.O.
    It's the outer layer of carbon so it could have been sloppy work and not effecting the frame integrity since it finishes smoothly.

If that's the case it's just poor workmanship and not defect. Which from what I read your op that may be the case. Because if you crack it from the top it would not be smooth and if the inner core crack it would feel even worse.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mimi1885; 11-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    It's the outer layer of carbon so I could have been sloppy work and not effecting the frame integrity since it finish smoothly.

If that's the case it's just poor workmanship and not defect. Which from what I read your op that may be the case. Because if you crack it from the top it would not be smooth and if the inner core crack it would feel even worse.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    I appreciate the in sight. No sense in worrying too much but it still kinda erks me. I will take in to my lbs if it grows.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    There is nothing wrong with your frame.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=NoahColorado;9841053]There is nothing wrong with your frame.[/QU

I hope so. Maybe I am just being a paranoid turd.

mtbr member
    Took it out and pounded it pretty good and it hasn't changed.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Still, you should take it to the shop so that they are at least aware of your concern. It's not likely to be on any file, so to speak, but still.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Still, you should take it to the shop so that they are at least aware of your concern. It's not likely to be on any file, so to speak, but still.
    You are probably right. I will bring it in just so they at least know about it. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    why are soo many people paranoid over carbon. there is nothing wrong with your frame, that is just how the fibers were laid.
    S-Works Venge
    S-Works Crux Disc
    Stumpjumper Expert EVO HT 29er
    Crux SS - Team Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    I did take it in. Appears to be nothing. So far the bike has been great.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Could you confirm which part of the frame we're looking at here? Agonizing over carbon layup seems pretty important. This frame seems to violate several known composite layup techniques. There shouldn't be what appear to be butt joints of layers and "shingled" layers with abrupt run out.
    Contrary to what people on here seem to be saying, the outer layer is very important. The inside of a carbon bike seems to be where it's a rough and sloppy mess. Often the inner layers are basically dry of resin.
    Assuming that a bike has poor inner layup and questionable outer is reason for concern.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaboo View Post
    Could you confirm which part of the frame we're looking at here? Agonizing over carbon layup seems pretty important. This frame seems to violate several known composite layup techniques. There shouldn't be what appear to be butt joints of layers and "shingled" layers with abrupt run out.
    Contrary to what people on here seem to be saying, the outer layer is very important. The inside of a carbon bike seems to be where it's a rough and sloppy mess. Often the inner layers are basically dry of resin.
    Assuming that a bike has poor inner layup and questionable outer is reason for concern.
    This is looking down on the top tube as if you were riding it. You can see the from shocks below it. As I mentioned it is smooth to the touch. I have taken it out and ridden it pretty hard maybe 5 times since I noticed this and it has not changed.
    I took it in and talked to the shop owner and he said it was nothing to worry about. He does have it on record that I went in and spoke to him about it in case it gives me troubles down the line. Also, the lifetime warranty keeps me sleeping soundly.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    This is looking down on the top tube as if you were riding it. You can see the from shocks below it. As I mentioned it is smooth to the touch. I have taken it out and ridden it pretty hard maybe 5 times since I noticed this and it has not changed.
    I took it in and talked to the shop owner and he said it was nothing to worry about. He does have it on record that I went in and spoke to him about it in case it gives me troubles down the line. Also, the lifetime warranty keeps me sleeping soundly.
    I'd love to know what their explanation is for it. The frame looks more like it's filament wound
    rather than unidirectional.
    The defect actually looks remarkably like buffalo horn after two bulls have collided head on.
    I hope you're not playing your own lifetime warranty against the lifetime warranty of the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaboo View Post
    I'd love to know what their explanation is for it. The frame looks more like it's filament wound
    rather than unidirectional.
    The defect actually looks remarkably like buffalo horn after two bulls have collided head on.
    I hope you're not playing your own lifetime warranty against the lifetime warranty of the frame.
    You really think it's that bad? I am taking it in today get my tubeless tires. I will bring it up again with them. It is smooth to the touch also.

It's about showing up.
    Well, it isn't very pretty but if it is smooth my call is that it is okay. I'll bet it was there when you got it; who stares at their downtube?
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Well, it isn't very pretty but if it is smooth my call is that it is okay. I'll bet it was there when you got it; who stares at their downtube?
    Who stares at their downtube? The guy who spent $3000+ on a china carbon frame with expensive decals?

I don't know what a 2013 Spesh carbon bike goes for but I would be pissed if I paid retail for a bike and the frame looked like that. Just sayin...

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure it's the finish. Whatever they use to make it look glossy and "shimmery" . My LBS basically told me that. However, it is on record I went in there and this forum is evidence too if down the line it does turn into something and Specialized wants to toy with me.

mtbr member
    Assuming this flaw is not at or close to the joint of you seat or head tube, I donít think you need to worry about the frame failing. With that said, considering what you paid for the bike, if it was me I would request a replacement frame. At best this flaw is poor workmanship and bad quality control.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Dang, there is whole lot of carbon manufacturing ignorance in this thread.
    It's like reading all the goofy opinions in the 29er and 650b threads.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast