Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    21
    So all the load path analysis and laying unidirectional fibers along the load path comes down to a guy slapping cloth down in a mold pretty much willy nilly?
    I'd like to think that with all the technology available that allows them to make carbon stiff and compliant exactly where it needs to be that there is just a bit more practice rather than just theory..
    Do you actually work with carbon bikes?

  2. #52
    Rock and/or Roll
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaboo View Post
    So all the load path analysis and laying unidirectional fibers along the load path comes down to a guy slapping cloth down in a mold pretty much willy nilly?
    I'd like to think that with all the technology available that allows them to make carbon stiff and compliant exactly where it needs to be that there is just a bit more practice rather than just theory..
    Do you actually work with carbon bikes?
    You oversimplify. Do you really think it's that easy? The OP's frame is fine.
    It's not as "willy nilly" as you say. Watch this youtube vid...

    Trek Madone Frame - YouTube
    Last edited by turbogrover; 11-25-2012 at 04:57 PM.

  3. #53
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Unsubscribed
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  4. #54
    Rock and/or Roll
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    439
    Custom carbon fiber frame building video:
    Cyfac Carbon | Custom Carbon Fiber Frames - YouTube

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    You oversimplify. Do you really think it's that easy? The OP's frame is fine.
    It's not as "willy nilly" as you say. Watch this youtube vid...

    Trek Madone Frame - YouTube
    Cool video! Hand made in the USA where was the OP bike made? Giant factory in China, Taiwan Or maybe Fly bike? Not dissing Spech just curious.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    21
    The reading comprehension on here is staggering. ...
    Since this frame is "fine" and representative of the composite arts, I will double my resolve to never own or ride a commercial carbon frame.
    I'm not sure why a Trek Madone demonstrates how all carbon frames are made.

  7. #57
    Rock and/or Roll
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaboo View Post
    The reading comprehension on here is staggering. ...
    Since this frame is "fine" and representative of the composite arts, I will double my resolve to never own or ride a commercial carbon frame.
    I'm not sure why a Trek Madone demonstrates how all carbon frames are made.
    Good for you! Atta boy!

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,946
    I have had two bike shop owners look at my frame. None of them say it is a structural flaw, but that it is a cosmetic flaw. I appreciate the info guys. I will inspect my frame on the reg (as everyone should regardless of frame material) but not worry about it anymore. Thanks.

  9. #59
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,271
    Wait, dude, where you goin'? Oh, sure, reasonable resolution( is fine for you but what are these guys going to do with all of this controversy you have stirred up.

    So I have a question for you: why did it take 3 weeks to figure this out?
    I don't rattle.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Wait, dude, where you goin'? Oh, sure, reasonable resolution( is fine for you but what are these guys going to do with all of this controversy you have stirred up.

    So I have a question for you: why did it take 3 weeks to figure this out?
    The top tube on my Camber has all sorts of weird markings on the finish. Some similar to the line I see. I have wrecked on my bike, pounded the piss out of it and it stays exactly the same. I have discussed with two bike shop owners, one of which has no vested-interest in my bike.
    Some people don't like carbon frames, and just like stir the pot. That is fine, but should I lose sleep over it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •