mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Is my bike too big?

I just bought a beautiful santa cruz superlight medium bike. I love it! But I just looked at the sizing chart and it looks like I should have a small. I am 5'4" 110#. It feels good and I can adjust things to make it even better, but do you think this frame is too big for me?
    Last edited by jmcthore; 04-13-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    I would say that yes, the bike is too big for you sadly. I'm 5'7" (in shoes) and the one medium framed bike I had was too big for me, it was rideable, but never felt right. At your height, a size small or even extra small would be much better.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Size charts are just an approximation. Its there as a guide, but is not gospel truth or anything. First of all, your torso length is more important than your overall height for bike fitting. And everybody's body shape is different, even if they are the same height. There's no way a size chart can account for that. Secondly, some people like their frames a little smaller, some like them a little bigger. A size chart can't account for personal preferrences either. Go with what feels right. If your standover is fine and the bike handles the way you like it, than you're good to go.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz's top tube are generally shorter than other brands. Meaning it's easier to size up. But really, only if it feels too big. Do you feel stretched out? What size stem do you have on it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If your standover is fine and the bike handles the way you like it, than you're good to go.
    Well said.

I'll just add that as many frame sizes as there are, it is rare indeed that one will fit us perfectly. The majority end up with either a size too big or too small and adjust accordingly. As long as you are not "two sizes" off, there is a wealth of adjustments and swaps to be made which will bring two different size frames into relative fit.

I just tried a certain bike and the one which on paper should have been right made me feel like I was pushing myself off the back of the saddle to get comfortable, even when we set it artificially far back. The next size up I would have thought to be too big, and it did feel just a little long so we swapped stems on it: 15mm doesn't look like a lot but it can feel huge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    +1 . I am 5'7" with shoes and ride a Stumpy HT and Epic Medium. Torso length is very important, some people have long torso and short legs, that is my case. For my riding style, I am not fill very confortable in a Small one. Took out the stock stem and installed the 60mm length and after that both bikes are very nice and I fill more confident in bigger frame at high speed.

mtbr member
    Did it feel good when you test rode it? If so, who cares if it has an "M" or an "S" written on it?

T.W.O.
    If it fits and ride well, then don't think about the size written on the seat tube. Think it's a small Yeti not a med santa cruz

mtbr member
    Swapping stem lengths can make a huge difference in how the bike feels. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and mediums are usually spot on for me, but if the stock stem is longish it feels too big and over the front wheel (I'm more of a downhill oriented rider than racer/climber). Swapping to a shorter stem will bring it right in my comfort zone.