Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My Baby: My custom Giant Revel. Love/Hate? Share your projects!

21K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  Mr Cup 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a Giant Revel 2 off a friend for 150 bucks (he bought it for 300 and immediately decided that he wanted a FS). I was looking for a HT 26er project, and here it was. As you all know, the stock components were terrible and the bike was quite a load (I'm not sure of the stock weight, but it had to be 35lbs). So I spent about 4 months compiling new parts via cheap internet sales (I was determined to do this on a budget...I'm a grad student), and here is my final product: Every single component has been upgraded other than the headset.

I've got the weight down to 23 pounds, which has made riding it lot of fun. Also, this is my first time going 1x9 and I LOVE it!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
looks like a great ride... but a few tidbits...

it appears your chain is to long... Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Length Sizing

and your cockpit looks like it's pushed to far forward... look into measuring for K.O.P.s... it'll more then likely (unless you've got a weirdly short femur) push your saddle back a bit... then a shorter stem will keep the cockpit length the same... also your saddle rails appear to be bent... part of it being so far forward (the same thing can happen to it if it's to far back)

but in the end... enjoy it :)

#9 ·
Thanks for the response, Donalson. I appreciate the feedback. I am looking into a shorter stem...any recommendations for a shorter, decently priced, low rise stem?

How is something like the Easton Havoc?
Since the only one showing available is the 80mm, I would say that it's probably a good starting point. You really do need to get that saddle centered better on the rails and you could probably benefit from tilting it so that the saddle is level (not nose up like currently).

#10 ·
#16 · (Edited)
Looking at photos of this build I've noticed a problem, the pad wear on the rotors braking track indicate that there is a brake alignment problem.

A closer look and I see Avid CPS washers, the Shimano brakes you have were never meant to have these fitted.

By fitting the CPS washers you are effectively moving the brake calipers outwards away from the axle about 5mm or so, the first result of this is that you will have less braking power because there will be a section of the pads which overhangs the outside edge of the rotor and doesn't contact it.

Second thing the overhanging pads will lead to another problem as the sections of the pads that contact the rotor wear down, there will be an unworn section of the pads which overhangs the rotor. One day when you squeeze the brake lever, instead of the pads pushing against the rotor, the two unworn sections of pad will be pushing against themselves. The result of this will basically be a loss of brake power which could end up being messy.

Basically you need to get rid of those CPS washers before a disaster happens.

#18 ·
Hey zkid,

If you think you are going to enjoy it and keep on biking, then it is definitely a good starter bike. I would recommend the Revel 1 or 0 for sure over the Revel 2 (because when you want to upgrade the components, those versions start with better quality ones).

But if you think you will enjoy it and stick with it, you might want to look into something a bit higher end, depending on price range. I really like my bike, but my brother recently got a better bike, a Scott Comp 29er, and I am very jealous, especially at the price he got it for: 750 bucks.

But I will say this: The Revel 0 and even the Revel 1 comes with some pretty nice stock components...things you wont need to be upgrading and way better than the Revel 2. I would take a good look at your budget and see what you can afford, because you will see if you look around these boards: it is easy to get bit by the upgrade bug if you have cheap parts, then you end up spending a good amount on parts...but its fun!

I definitely endorse the Revel Frame, its quite strong and has taken a beating. Keep me updated on what you go with!

Also, check around the bike shops to see which shops are more of a well-run pro shop with good mechanics, as opposed to a franchise or chain. I made the mistake of going to a place with crap mechanics that just sell bikes and dont know too much about them.

#20 ·
Cobba! I am sorry that I never responded...I actually took it in to my LBS and they removed them. I bought the brakes on ebay and they said that those washers must have been put on by the seller. Thanks so much, and I respect/admire your keen eye!

#22 ·
This has to be the most decked out Revel 2 i have ever seen. I work at a bike shop that sells Trek and Giant and at the revel price level i always push them they really are great bikes for the money. The Trek 3500 which is the same price is a joke compared to this bike component and frame wise.

That is awesome you got it down to 23 pounds, I weighed a stock revel 2 the other day and was shocked it tipped the scale at 32 pounds. I bet it rides like a completely different bike, although it basically is. Correct me if i am wrong but i do not see one stock component..haha

#23 ·
Thanks Tninl, I have also fixed some of the issues pointed out in this forum (shorter stem especially). I built it up on the cheap with internet deals, to be honest. Also, I test-rode some trek 3500s, and I did not like the feel of it at all!

And there is only one more stock component left, but you can't see it... the headset--though I did change the bearing cups and grease them up.

Can you answer a question that I have asked lots of people, and gotten no answers: what the heck type of headsets does Giant use??

#24 ·
On the Giant Revel bicycles they use a semi integrated headset, basically it does have the bearing races pressed in but they are not visible like the traditional press in headsets. This gives a cleaner look IMO compared to the traditional press in headsets.

The downfall is there are not many options for aftermarket headsets, like a cartridge bearing set up. At least not any that i know of i could be wrong though.

I can ask my giant rep next time he comes in and let you know what he comes up with. I have noticed trek doing this on several models too so I am sure its just a matter of time before they are readily available.

#28 ·
Awesome you've changed soo much on the bike, I also have a giant revel but ive got the revel 1. I'm looking to replace the front forks like what you did.

As the revel 1 has an 80mm sr suntour fork (pure rubbish) and the revel 1 ltd has a rockshock 100mm fork I'm unsure what size to up grade to???

I was told not to go anymore than 20mm longer than standard so does that mean I could run something with 120mm of suspension travel???

What forks dis you upgrade to???

Thanks loads Neil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.