Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB for short lady?

597 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  screampint 
#1 ·
Been thinking about getting my better half a new MTB. She's been riding a "converted" comfort bike (Trek Navigator 200 with upgraded parts). She's only 5ft tall. Any ideas for a decent MTB for moderate XC riding for a shorter woman?

#2 ·
Start with Jamis and Titus depending on your budget.

#4 ·
How much do you plan to spend?

Trek, Specialized, and Santa Cruz all make women specific mountain bikes. For a lady that short, I would definitely check on a WS design.

Tell us how much you plan on spending and what is important in the choosing a bike and we can help more.

#5 ·
I'm thinking around $12-1500 or so, but that's flexible (up or down) based upon frame fit. She doesn't ride aggressively (no drops) & is not demanding of her drivetrain. Thankfully for my wallet she think's her Acera/Alivio combo is fine (I don't!!!). I'm guessing Deore or LX derailleurs would easily satisfy her. She's seen a few Trek WSD series & was not too impressed. OTOH She's never had a chance to ride one in the proper frame size (XS). I've also noticed that GF lists some models in smaller ladies frames on their website, but I've not seen these in person. Haven't taken her to see Specialized or Santa Cruz yet. She's been satisfied so far with her beefed-up Nav 200, but I'm sure that will change this coming season.

#6 ·
Check out anything and everything in size XS (13") and just go with what she likes. You may have more luck with a WSD, but that's not always the case. I ride a 13" Jamis Dakar Sport with a whole load of seatpost showing (I'm 5'4", but have a very short torso so the 15" was too big in the cockpit). I like it... it has a very good component spec for the price. Not all women conform to the WSD models, and since most bike shops will swap out parts for you until the bike fits anyway, it may be better to go for a 13" men's bike instead. Also, for some reason WSD bikes tend to be more expensive than a similarly specced men's bike... probably part of the gimmick :rolleyes:

- Jen.

#7 ·
this worked for my wife

keep it LIGHT. A 28 lb bike for a small lady... is like a 60lb bike for you and I. Use the total weight as a percentage and you'll get wide eyes. A 30 lb bike for a 100lb lady is 30%; if you and I weigh in at say 200lb, then that makes us equivalent to being on a 60 lb ride. Would you want to pedal that?

Got my wife a Titus Loco and loaded it with light parts where I could. Cost me a bundle. She loved her old bike and didn't want a new one, but after one ride, she was totally wowed. The diff. is now she rides, before she didn't.

Just my ..02, Jim

#10 ·
JimC. said:
keep it LIGHT. A 28 lb bike for a small lady... is like a 60lb bike for you and I. Use the total weight as a percentage and you'll get wide eyes. A 30 lb bike for a 100lb lady is 30%; if you and I weigh in at say 200lb, then that makes us equivalent to being on a 60 lb ride. Would you want to pedal that?

Got my wife a Titus Loco and loaded it with light parts where I could. Cost me a bundle. She loved her old bike and didn't want a new one, but after one ride, she was totally wowed. The diff. is now she rides, before she didn't.

Just my ..02, Jim
Great point! I've got to convince her that her present "beloved" bike is too heavy for her. A test ride is clearly in order.

#11 ·
mahgnillig said:
for some reason WSD bikes tend to be more expensive than a similarly specced men's bike
Don't buy into the gimmick. Buy what fits her best. The better the fit the more comfortable, the more she will ride it. It may end up being WSD, but don't limit your search. In addition to the big brands (Specialized, Trek/Gary Fisher) try Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mountain, and Marin. The Jamis', Rockys, and Konas might be similar, but the Marins are definitely different as far as proportions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.