mtbr member
    May 2009

moved to vintage forum

Nt Nt
    Last edited by ro7939; 09-13-2009 at 04:19 PM.
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com fine guitars/audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

There's no app for this.

Check here...

over in the vintage forum... Jim

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks, Jim. Moved to vintage.
    jimbo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    over in the vintage forum... Jim

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

It's a road bike converted to single speed, more of like over at the roadbikereview.com

$250? Since you are asking, vintage french bicycles have bottom brackets rarer than a hen's teeth. Besides a brand new Reynolds CrMo 520 frame and fork complete single speed bicycle can be had for $299.00 delivered.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by older guy
    It's a road bike converted to single speed, more of like over at the roadbikereview.com

$250? Since you are asking, vintage french bicycles have bottom brackets rarer than a hen's teeth. Besides a brand new Reynolds CrMo 520 frame and fork complete single speed bicycle can be had for $299.00 delivered.
    My sum total intent is to help a friend who works at WalMart get what is a reasonable selling price. Please post whatever you think is its value, something I have not found in the post above after reading it more than once (I apologize if I missed it).

My 2 kopacts is that the value of something hand built in France almost 40 years old not available in large numbers is not necessarily determined by the value of an Asian sourced modern replacement made in the tens of thousands or greater quantities, made by quasi-slave labor, w/ a short estimated lifespan (about a month after the warranty expires such as w/ many Philips electronics, an area in which I have some expertise...even Philips warranty service is performed by third party off-shore contractors), no replacement parts available & is difficult if not impossible to service & is a disposable commodity (I assume, maybe wrongly, this is a reasonable description of the $299 bike mentioned above). But again, I'm naive & maybe my buddy's bike is worth zero & should just be given to charity. If so, let me know.
    jimbo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    My sum total intent is to help a friend who works at WalMart get what is a reasonable selling price. Please post whatever you think is its value, something I have not found in the post above after reading it more than once (I apologize if I missed it).

My 2 kopacts is that the value of something hand built in France almost 40 years old not available in large numbers is not necessarily determined by the value of an Asian sourced modern replacement made in the tens of thousands or greater quantities, made by quasi-slave labor, w/ a short estimated lifespan (about a month after the warranty expires such as w/ many Philips electronics, an area in which I have some expertise...even Philips warranty service is performed by third party off-shore contractors), no replacement parts available & is difficult if not impossible to service & is a disposable commodity (I assume, maybe wrongly, this is a reasonable description of the $299 bike mentioned above). But again, I'm naive & maybe my buddy's bike is worth zero & should just be given to charity. If so, let me know.

While it is true that something hand built in France almost 40 years old may have a collectors value, it should be in original condition - meaning all parts are true to that era and not converted into a commuter bike. If someone wants a commuter bike, they can be had for the same amount you are thinking of asking for that bike in brand new condition with some kind of warranty. Again, if someone wants to use a 70s French bicycle as a commuter, further down the road they will have to replace broken parts and the bottom bracket having a french thread will be "difficult if not impossible to service & is a disposable commodity" as per your quote.

Whatever I think is its value is irrelevant as I am not buying it. This holds true with any here who will state an amount unless they will offer that value for it.

If you really want to know the real time value of the 70s Peugeot in that condition, list it on Ebay and see how much someone will pay for it.