mtbr member
    May 2007

Motobecane so cheap?

So what's the deal with the motobecane bikes on bikesdirect.com. Is the frame a piece of crap or something? I know it's straight tubes with no bends or tapers, but come on. Full xtr bike for $1599 with a reba race? I'm very interested in one, but I don't want to regret my decision later.

mtbr member
    You just answer your own question. Great!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My cousin is rockin the 'cane 29er with the xt gruppo and completely lovin it. Got it from bikesdirect and I'm almost convinced into making a purchase from them myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Parts hangers. They're not quite "right" copies of mainstream bikes.

mtbr member
    If it's too good to be true...btw check the components list too not all of the groupo are XTR, ect ect. I don't think that they are bad but they are not equal to the bike they were compared to.

mtbr member
    They are good bikes the frames are good just not as flashy as some of the bigger names. Lots of people don't like them because they are not name brand. The fact is you cant loose you get a full xtr with a sid fork and a good wheel set for half the price of the big brands. So lets say you want to get a new frame in a year or two you got all top spec parts to put on the frame. I would get a BD bike but they don't ship to Europe. If you look at the prices of all of the parts its a good deal. I didn't see any cheap parts on the list some of the big brands will sneak in a cheap cassette or something . I would say go for the BD bike 2500 for a xtr titanium bike come on you cant beat that.

look
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ly_TI_2x10.htm

mtbr member
    Some guys are just pissed because they paid top dollar for a name you cant beat the price even minus the frame you still get your money because the parts are so good do the math.

Derptastic
    BD frames are fine. They're made in the same factory as the bigger names. You won't get as much support as you would from a big name, but if that's not very important to you then go for it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadric
    They're made in the same factory as the bigger names.

Which ones are made in the same factory?

DynoDon
    I've got the Fantom Team and very happy with it, go to the Motobecane forum, and read how the people that actually own them feel, read some past post, ask some questions, there are some Spectrum dealers that carry Motos.

banned
    Can you test ride them?

Derptastic
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum
    Which ones are made in the same factory?
    Their frames are made by Kinesis Industry Co. in Taiwan, who also manufacture Felt, GT, Kona, Kross, Jamis and other frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum
    Can you test ride them?

Yeah you got a 30 day test ride

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepito
    So what's the deal with the motobecane bikes on bikesdirect.com. Is the frame a piece of crap or something? I know it's straight tubes with no bends or tapers, but come on. Full xtr bike for $1599 with a reba race? I'm very interested in one, but I don't want to regret my decision later.

Throw a leg over one and take it for a spin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadric
    BD frames are fine. They're made in the same factory as the bigger names. You won't get as much support as you would from a big name, but if that's not very important to you then go for it.
    Made in the same factory doesn't equate to being the same quality in material and especially design (walmart has their branded products made to their lower specs by every major producer in every industry)...you think bikes direct is going to spend the money licencing anything beyond the most basic suspension designs?

They're a decent method to buy a parts gruppo. As long as you know that going in you won't feel ripped off because the performance isn't there...now on a hard tail it doesn't quite matter as much a long as the rear triangle dimensions are appropriate and the hta is what you're after.

mtbr member
    I would say the ht bikes are good the fs not so good but the parts for the money compared are good.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Some of the deals are better than others. All in all there's nothing wrong with hardtail versions. I'd be hesitant to order the full suspensions because I would be more concerned about warranty issues and trying to obtain pivot bearings/parts.

Pay close attention to the wheels, cranks, and cockpit components. This is absolutely where they are gonna save money. Some models are spec'd with name brand wheels and Ritchey WCS while others have generic hubs and Ritchey Comp.

Also, learn what the geometry numbers mean and order accordingly.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    so the answer to my question is yes, no, and maybe.

So the guy who rides the Fantom, How is the ride? Any pedal bob? Is it flexy at all? What other bikes have you ridden for comparison? I'm a little concerned about the main pivot being a sealed bearing in an aluminum frame. I had a K2 like that and the race got fused into the frame. I had to get a new one.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    so the answer to my question is yes, no, and maybe.
    Did you think you would get 15 posts all saying "Yes...go for it!"

I think the consensus is they are OK frames with a good spec for the price, and most would avoid the full suspension frames.

So you are thinking about this at $1599?
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ompro_dsIX.htm

Even with XTR that bike is gonna be heavy. That Monarch 3.3 is OK at best.

I'd get one of the Ti hardtails personally.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Actually I thought I was going to get 15 posts all saying the frames suck ass

mtbr member
    I would only get a ht from BD the Full suspension bikes look like a very old design or something you would see at wally world. The ht bikes are a great deal you can always buy a fs frame later if you want.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a hardtail. I'm actually replacing a 80mm FS. I need more travel and more ground clearance. I'm also looking at trek ex, specialized fsr, and cannondale rz.

mtbr member
    Actually I thought I was going to get 15 posts all saying the frames suck ass
    We don't know which $1600 bike you wanted. If it's a Hardtail al or ti it may be ok but going Full sus definitely not recommended. From what I remember reading 6.5" i2i and 1.5" stroke on a 5" bike is just not a good combo it's such a high ratio setup. The rear would feel funky regardless of the kind of premium brand shock it has. You can try to boost performance by sending it to push to get double performance but really twice the performance of suck ass is still not much.

The Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Giant will out perform this frame even with lower end parts.

mtbr member
    BMC is really good to I have one have a look at the speed fox