~ B A D A S S ~

The most scientific frame-material test

Mambo-kurt is testing frames.
    Bicycle Frame Test Carbon vs Aluminium vs Steel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63bmVpck
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Next time i am out on a ride, i hope my frames buzz saw cut resistance keeps me safe and makes me go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    Next time i am out on a ride, i hope my frames buzz saw cut resistance keeps me safe and makes me go faster.

If you're riding quirky carbon, I'm afraid that prayer will be your only option.
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

mtbr member
    If you think of that test as even remotely scientific, you must not have a very good grasp of just what "scientific" means. Or what a "scientific test" would entail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's not scientific until we know how well they withstand immolation in burning gasoline, inflation to scuba tank pressures, and hard exposure to gamma radiation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel242
    It's not scientific until we know how well they withstand immolation in burning gasoline, inflation to scuba tank pressures, and hard exposure to gamma radiation.
    What he said.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran
    If you think of that test as even remotely scientific, you must not have a very good grasp of just what "scientific" means. Or what a "scientific test" would entail.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Are saying the test methodology is bad
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    While fun, it really only tells you how good the anti-ash factor is. If I were running through army of darkness time that may matter.

Real destructive testing follows a bit more structured approach.

Love the 2x4 taped to the angle grinder too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone
    Are saying the test methodology is bad
    Um, yes. Yes I am.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    His timed test with the angle grinder clearly shows that carbon is faster than steel or aluminum

But I am concerned that if I crashed an the trail and my frame landed on a piece of framing lumber just as an iron weight fell from the sky, I might be in trouble.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    His timed test with the angle grinder clearly shows that carbon is faster than steel or aluminum

But I am concerned that if I crashed an the trail and my frame landed on a piece of framing lumber just as an iron weight fell from the sky, I might be in trouble.
    First of all, where is a bike going to encounter something that will put it under that kind of stress? Of course carbon fails quicker! It's not a material that is designed to withstand that form of stress. But that doesn't matter because it will never encounter that unless somebody goes an takes an angle grinder to it.

Secondly, how do we know that he applied the exact same amount of weight to each frame when applying the angle grinder?

There are far too many variables that are not accounted for. This is not a "scientific" test. Nor a fair one for that matter.

mtbr member
    Nenbran, I really hope you're kidding. This is clearly one of the most scientific tests I have ever seen. There was hardly any opportunity for error and the tests simulate real world riding conditions better than any of the tests that the frame manufacturers do on their frames. It's a conspiracy and this guy is just trying to show you the real facts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNightman
    Nenbran, I really hope you're kidding. This is clearly one of the most scientific tests I have ever seen. There was hardly any opportunity for error and the tests simulate real world riding conditions better than any of the tests that the frame manufacturers do on their frames. It's a conspiracy and this guy is just trying to show you the real facts!
    Exactly. I'm guessing Nenbran doesn't spend much time riding in construction zones and basement workshops.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

~ B A D A S S ~
    The guy is german, BMW, Porsche and Mercedes = german. German test = must be scientific.

Specialized sucks ass.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone
    Mambo-kurt is testing frames.
    Bicycle Frame Test Carbon vs Aluminium vs Steel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63bmVpck
    The concert opening scene tells me all I need to know about the "test".
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Hi.
    First of all, where is a bike going to encounter something that will put it under that kind of stress? Of course carbon fails quicker! It's not a material that is designed to withstand that form of stress. But that doesn't matter because it will never encounter that unless somebody goes an takes an angle grinder to it.

Secondly, how do we know that he applied the exact same amount of weight to each frame when applying the angle grinder?

There are far too many variables that are not accounted for. This is not a "scientific" test. Nor a fair one for that matter.

Lol you need to relax. trailvillle's comment was comedy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Lol you need to relax. trailvillle's comment was comedy.
    Haha. I tend to miss sarcasm sometimes.