mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Mongoose XR Comp (walmart)

My friend has been looking for a new bike lately so he can get into mountain biking and ride the local trails. The problem is that he saw a walmart bike for $400. The components look OK but I'm more worried about suspension. The bike has promax mx4 brakes, a generic carbon bar, sram x5 rd, x4 shifters, a suntour fork, a generic rear shock (similar to a downhill spring shock but with XC travel), suntour or shimano cranks. The thing that I'm worried about would be assembly and the generic components; probably frame weight and durability. There was also a review on walmart.com saying somthing about special tubes because of the rims. I know he shouldn't get this bike but I can't convince him not too, and if he does how can I keep this thing rolling?

There's no app for this.

this comes up about once a week...

OK. You CANNOT get a decent FS bike for less than ~$1500 new. Period. It's hard enough to buy a good quality, starter hardtail for $399.00

That bike is loaded with entry level, non-performing junk like an 80mm Suntour XC fork that will perform poorly at best. The rear travel isn't even addressed by Walmart. Neither can be serviced or repaired. It'll be heavy, and will handle poorly on trails.

When fit is the most important part of a bike purchase, why shop for a 'one size fits all' clunker?

This gets asked so often I'm almost ready to just say 'go ahead, buy one, and then afterwards you'll know to never do that again'.

Just my .02, Jim

Former Bike Wrench
    If your "friend" wont listen...then let him buy it and when something breaks (and it will fairly soon), have him take it to Walmart for service.

Then when he *****es...tell him "Lesson Learned"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ok, thanks for the input. My budy still wants a full suser for a starter bike, so he is going to save up for a $500 06 trek fuel ex 6.