mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Mongoose Tyax 2005 or DiamondBack M20? Advice please!

Hi guys, looking to buy my first budget bike to get fit again and lose some weight. I can get both of the above at a very good price so can people let me know which is the best out of the M20 or Tyax? Which has the best spec, the strongest frame and is best for an 18 stone (252 lbs) rider? I'm 6'4" tall but need to shift some weight!

There's no app for this.

both bikes are

decidedly entry level: the forks on both are more for show than actual functionality. RST and Suntour make OEM forks for the lowest end bikes out there. Tektro disc brakes again are OEM, parts and service may be non-existent. I don't know how well they work. On a bike in the 200+ pound range (no pound symbol on keyborad), expect them to be basic, no more.

IMHO move up a few notches. Regardless of where you live, you get what you pay for, Right now the bike(s) would be suitable for you as an exercise device to lose weight, but neither is capable of offering you a trail ride of anything beyond a bike path.

Not much help, but if you can afford it, look up the food chain.

Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for your reply. I want to get a cheaper bike purposefully because I am overweight, unfit and new to cycling - I don't want to damage an expensive one! If I manage to shed a fair bit of weight and find myself enjoying cycling then I will look to buy a much better bike. Neither bike I've listed has disc brakes, I wouldn't bother with mechanical discs. It's true what you say about the forks, I'm sure both are poor but then in every review I've read - even on expensive bikes - the forks have been criticised. It appears to be one area that is down to personal preference. If I find the forks are useless I can always upgrade them. I already have some wheels being built to cover my weight so the factory wheels aren't an issue either. I'm purely concerned with the frame, chainset and gears - which bike has the best. The DiamondBack has 7005 tubing and the Mongoose 6061 - but then the Mongoose tubing appears slightly thicker, so will this negate the need for the extra strength of the 7005 frame?

Never worng!

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by sunking101
    Hi guys, looking to buy my first budget bike to get fit again and lose some weight. I can get both of the above at a very good price so can people let me know which is the best out of the M20 or Tyax? Which has the best spec, the strongest frame and is best for an 18 stone (252 lbs) rider? I'm 6'4" tall but need to shift some weight!
    I'd pass on the Mongoose. I do like Diamondback bikes but am not familiar with the M20.
    Decent bikes at a reasonable price includes: Iron Horse, Haro and Jamis.
    Specialized makes great bikes but they're just a bit more than the above.

I see you live in the UK. You might try posting in the "Other Area" Forum about 2/3 down the main forum page.
    Some members from the UK post there and may have some suggestions where the beat deals are in the UK.
    Also, another forum here to check is the "Clydesdale" forum.
    You'd probably get some good recommendation there for a bike re: your weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks

There's no app for this.

an inexpensive bike that is

brand name from a store, fitted, is your best bet. Stick to names like Giant, Trek, etc etc etc.

If money were no object, here's your perfect ride designed for "Clydesdales".
    UK 700.00

Check out the Clydesdale forum on this site for more advice if you wish.

Your assumption on fork performance is correct, but the ones on those bikes are simply substandard. And the OEM mechanical brakes are a total unknown.

You are, however, totally correct on getting the frame right; then you can upgrade. But upgrading an entry level bike is like putting on an expensive tie while wearing a really cheap suit. don't do it.

Buy the best frame you can if you intend to upgrade; as almost everyone here will tell you, it's cheaper to buy a better bike up front than to upgrade.

Anyhow, good luck, keep us posted with progress or more questons...

Jim

ride hard take risks
    Very wise words & suggestions above. The Kona has a bike called the Hoss that is designed for larger riders like you. The clydesdale site im shure will have some great input as Jim & Verewolf suggested.

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...0&parentid=253

http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-tall-riders/