mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Made a mistake, now i need to fix it!

Hi, always love the look of a light weight and simple not complicated mountain bike, and always love biking, so i bought couple months ago a ORYX aluminum hardtail, the size of the frame is 19-1/2" ...

I ride my bike all the summer but i understood really fast how not comfortable a too large frame is, then i went in some shops only to try different bike size, the size i need is 18''

The bike i bought as couple quality pieces, Shimano XT brake system, FSA stem bar and pedals system, Sram Attack shifter, Manitou fork.

Not the best but still really good for what im doing, my probleme is the frame, now i found some couple different frame that i want, Im really interesting in those Stumpjumper SPECIALIZED old M2's or M4 (i love those simple frame).

Because im new i still have problems with what fits together and whats not...

Can i buy a 18'' frame and put all my pieces that i have on my 19-1/2 frame on it ?

Is my fork can be a problem ? If so, what should i look to fit those together ?

I don't understand fork sizing VS frames...

Hope you guys could help me! Thanks

T.W.O.
    How much is your budget for all of this?

It's almost better to sell your current bike and buy another complete bike, unless you have the tools, and skills to take the bike apart and put it together, and that providing that every parts can be transfer over.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth Algar View Post
    Hi, always love the look of a light weight and simple not complicated mountain bike, and always love biking, so i bought couple months ago a ORYX aluminum hardtail, the size of the frame is 19-1/2" ...

I ride my bike all the summer but i understood really fast how not comfortable a too large frame is, then i went in some shops only to try different bike size, the size i need is 18''

The bike i bought as couple quality pieces, Shimano XT brake system, FSA stem bar and pedals system, Sram Attack shifter, Manitou fork.

Not the best but still really good for what im doing, my probleme is the frame, now i found some couple different frame that i want, Im really interesting in those Stumpjumper SPECIALIZED old M2's or M4 (i love those simple frame).

Because im new i still have problems with what fits together and whats not...

Can i buy a 18'' frame and put all my pieces that i have on my 19-1/2 frame on it ?

Most things will transfer over if you are careful to pick the right frame. Here are the things that might not

1) fork, need to check the length of the steerer tube to make sure it is long enough and that the diameter fits

2) front derailleur - they fit different diameters, direct mount and can be top or bottom swing
    3) seat post there are a few different sizes
    4) headset - even if the fork is the right size, the headset may not be compatible. If it is not, then you will also need to change the crown race on the fork which matches the headset
    5) bottom bracket may not be compatible
    6) brake mounts might need an adapter

These are the main things that you need to check. Plus you may have to buy new cables/cable housings depending on the length

Bikeshops will typically install everything for 150 or less.

El Turko
    Aug 2011
    Its defintely worth it to swap the parts out on a new frame. I'm doing the same with my Cannondale, luckily they are the same company and practically the same model, so all the parts will work. You need to worry about the saettube diameter and the headtube length. As long as you have a similar or smaller seattube on the new bike you should be able to replace the front mech. as for the fork, most smaller bikes will have a smaller headtube, but it varies by make and model. to make sure you have the right length headtube, just measure the length between the top cap on your stem and the space directly where the fork meets the frame. this will give you an approximate distance, as long as the new bike has a headtube length shorter than that, and can accommodate your stem, you're in the clear. Also, im not sure what crank you have, but you can move most of the parts yourself if you buy a crank puller and BB tool, they should be around the same cost as labor to remove and swap those parts.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth Algar View Post

Best user name? Perhaps...

Fork sizing has a few key points:
    - Wheel size: this is only really an issue if you're swapping from 26" to 29" or vice-versa.
    - Travel: ideally you would want to match the travel of the frame you are swapping TO. If you mess up the travel the bike will handle differently and sometimes very poorly. I would suggest never exceeding the manufacturer's suggested travel by more than 20 mm, though in some cases manufacturers won't recommend you exceed design travel at all.
    - Steerer Tube: here's the big one; if your steerer tube on your current fork is too short you won't be able to use it in your other frame. There is nothing you can do save buying a different fork or upper. You can always go down in size, but not up. Figuring out if your old fork will fit on a new frame: measure the height of your stem, spacers, headset (protruding from the frame), and head tube and if that measurement is larger or the same on your old frame as it is on your new frame then your fork should fit. You can always remove spacers if your body position allows, but if the steerer is too short then there isn't much you can do.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?