mtbr member
    May 2011

Lower end bike buying advice...

Hi all,

I've just decided to get back into biking after years and years without a bike (my last bike was a Marin B-17 which I bought in 1999!). Since those days I've got a house and mortgage and I can't really justify spending that kind of money any more, so I was looking at a few lower end bikes just to get me started. I've been to my local bike shops and had a look around, and I'm thinking I'm going to spend up to 400-450. The three bikes I'm looking at are

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/pro...c2011&id=14649

Marin Bolinas Ridge http://shop.theedgecycleworks.com/12...nas-Ridge.html

Scott Aspect 40 http://www.bikes.org.uk/scott-aspect...mountain-bike/

All are around the same price, but to be honest I've no idea which is the best bike for the price. I've always ridden Marins, right from my very first Muirwoods, so I have no experience of the other two brands. The Scott looks nice in the green paint-scheme, but that's as far as my preference goes.

Does anyone have experience of these bikes, and if so, what would be your recommendation? I'm even tempted to spend 500 and get the Trek 4300 Disc because of the hydraulic brakes, but again I have no experience of Trek bikes either.

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks very much,
    DonQ

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How was your Muirwoods?? Thinking of buying one,

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I loved my Muirwoods. Great bike. Mine was one of the old originals though, back when they were trail bikes (they're more of a hybrid now, aren't they?)... must've been about '93/'94.
    It really was a great bike though, and I've only good things to say about Marin in general. The build quality and ride is second to none; I have friends who still ride 10+ year old Marins and they're going as strong as the day they were made.

Picture Unrelated
    Ride everything in your price range, buy the bike you like the most.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Ride everything in your price range, buy the bike you like the most.
    Cheers,

I ended up buying the Scott, but never really gelled with it. I got rid of it shortly afterwards and bought a Kona dual-suspension, which I love. Great advice, though. I wish I'd done that in the beginning instead of rushing into buying something I wasn't happy with.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQuix78 View Post
    Cheers,

I ended up buying the Scott, but never really gelled with it. I got rid of it shortly afterwards and bought a Kona dual-suspension, which I love. Great advice, though. I wish I'd done that in the beginning instead of rushing into buying something I wasn't happy with.
    Well despite the process you ended up with something you love so it all works out!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    In my area a lot of people buy nice bikes to try and get into mt biking but decide they dont like it and sell their bikes. So I bought my first bike on craigslist.

I think used bikes are best for people trying to get into the sport. Main reason is to buy a cheap quality bike to make sure you like the sport.