Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

looking for a XC bike that can do Dirt jumps?

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  sfr4dr 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to ride XC and get good climbs so around 30lbs weight would help, but I will be doing dirt jumps around 3 to 4 footers and lots of stairs. and ideas and pictures would help. thanks

p.s Would this be called a all mountian bike?

#2 ·
corerat said:
I want to ride XC and get good climbs so around 30lbs weight would help, but I will be doing dirt jumps around 3 to 4 footers and lots of stairs. and ideas and pictures would help. thanks

p.s Would this be called a all mountian bike?
Give us a little more info..

What kind of price range are you looking at?

Are you loooking full suspension or hardtail or do you have a preferance?

Some of the all mountain frames might work. The downside with these is the geometry may not be optimal for dirt jumping. Not that you can't do it, but not as easy as a pure dirt jumping design.

I think more guys jump with hardtails or shorter travel F/S. A 4X frame might not be bad. A little of the best of both worlds.

I

#3 ·
OK. The price I would like to keep around 1,000USD. I was looking at hardtails only, but would be open to FS bikes. The concerns I have is that it has got to be light so I can climb, and tough to take stairs and jumps. I Think the Scirocco hardtail by Banshee bikes might be close but out of my price range. I have a Pic but dont know how to post it, sorry.

#4 ·
corerat said:
OK. The price I would like to keep around 1,000USD. I was looking at hardtails only, but would be open to FS bikes. The concerns I have is that it has got to be light so I can climb, and tough to take stairs and jumps. I Think the Scirocco hardtail by Banshee bikes might be close but out of my price range. I have a Pic but dont know how to post it, sorry.
I think hardtails are going to be your best bet. I was going to suggest the Scirocco.

You might also check the Specialized P-Series, and the Transition Trail-or-park.

I think you are going to be pushing it for a quality F/S at that price range that could take the dirt jumping abuse and still be manageble for XC duties.

Jamis has some pretty reasonably priced bikes as well.

Look for a deal on an '04 closeout.

#7 ·
corerat said:
Just thought of something else to consider.

Wheel world has their prepackaged build kits which which are pretty reasonably. They list their freeride kit at $799. Heres the link
http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2677&Catalog=39&sort=Price

Not super light, but I think it might suite your needs.

This leaves $200-$300 to find a deal on a good hardtail frame.

I forgot to mention check out Kona as well

#8 ·
If I had to pick two I would pick strong and light. What Kona model should I be looking at? To save on cost I had thought of building up the bike from the frame, does that save on cost or is it cheaper to buy fully assembled? Thanks for your time and help.

#10 ·
It may be costly but it gives me an idea what to look at. The most important component to me is the frame. I dont like the feel of the dirt jumper/BMX frames when IM riding trail or XC, and I dont like the feel of a XC bike when Im jumping. something morphing the two is my goal, and I seem to always be bouncing back to the Banshee? does anybody have more suggestions to compare it to? I tend to like my bikes smaller so I can move it around better. IM 5'10" @ 150lbs. Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
Kona or that new Marin line?

Kona Hardtails seem to be a bit beefier than most pure XC hardtails. They've got a nice geometry for more technical riding with a more sloping top tube and headangles that are around 70? when using a 100mm fork. Jumping frames like the Scrap/Shred/Stuff. Or perhaps try the Hoss frames which are built tougher for Big dudes.

You could also look at the Agressive XC line from Marin. They're beefed up XC hardtails with really sloping top tubes. Frames are built around 4" or 5" single crown forks. The top tube is slight longer and frame is lighter than most purely jumping frames. I got a brand new 2005 frame only for $99 bucks. Sorry haven't built yet but it looks pretty good. I think I'm gonna try it with an adjustable travel fork that goes from 100-130mm. It looks super stiff, so a Kona Hardtail would probably be more forgiving as an XC bike.

http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2005/html/bikes/bike_series/bikes_ser_axc.html

Also look at the Santa Cruz Chameleon. Lots of folks talk about this frame as a jack of all trades frame too.

Check the singlespeed forum. Somebody over there has a thread going about hardtails with long travel forks.

Anyways, you're gonna have sacrifice a little. Either a bike that's stronger/slacker but won't climb as well, or a more XC bike that may break on you from jumping it.

Goodluck

Pho'dUp

#13 ·
corerat said:
It may be costly but it gives me an idea what to look at. The most important component to me is the frame. I dont like the feel of the dirt jumper/BMX frames when IM riding trail or XC, and I dont like the feel of a XC bike when Im jumping. something morphing the two is my goal, and I seem to always be bouncing back to the Banshee? does anybody have more suggestions to compare it to? I tend to like my bikes smaller so I can move it around better. IM 5'10" @ 150lbs. Thanks
If you don't like the dirt jumper frame design, a good comprise might be the Kona Hoss. The frames really a burly XC designed for Clydsdale riders which you are not, but the added strength should hold up to dirt jumping at your weight.

The Banshee really does seem to fit the mold. It might be worth saving up a few Hundred bucks more and going for it. I think you could probably build one for around $1,500 with a decent build and a decent fork.

As mentioned, pre-built is typically cheaper unless you really spend some time looking for deals. You can definately save some serious $$$ shopping around and being patient, but it takes time.

Jamis, Haro and Iron Horse have some longer travel hard tails as well that might work. Don't know the price, but usually pretty good bank for your buck.

#14 ·
corerat said:
Thanks for all your help! I made the choice to go with the Banshee Scirocco (it seems to be calling for me over and over, scarry). Does anyone know a good Online store? There are no LBS around me :mad:
GOOD CHOICE.

I've found its better to spend a little more to get what you want and not want to upgrade as soon as you get your new bike.

A couple of shops I would talk to are go-ride.com (see link above) and mtnhighcyclery.com (Larry Mettler aka ventanarama on this board).

You have to email or call both to order, but they both have great prices and service. I bought my FXR from go-ride and most of my parts came from Larry. I don't think either stocks the frame but they can order it. Either one could help you spec the frame out. Do a search on mtbr on either and you'll hear nothing but good things about them.

Jensonusa and pricepoint also have good prices on parts but don't carry Banshee.

Post pics when you get the bike.

#15 ·
String, Thanks for your help! I have researched this for about 5 weeks and in that time I have looked at every brand and bike out there, thats why I posted here for more Ideas. I looked at Kona, Specialized, Evil, Turner, Planet x, Sinister, and on.. I always came back to the Banshee Scirocco. Again, thanks for your help. Looks like I will be putting in some overtime at work. I will post Pics When I get it, and when I figure out how :D

#18 ·
corerat said:
If I had to pick two I would pick strong and light. What Kona model should I be looking at? To save on cost I had thought of building up the bike from the frame, does that save on cost or is it cheaper to buy fully assembled? Thanks for your time and help.
FWIW the Kona Cowan is a pretty nice spec ($1500cdn up here), but if you can afford the Scirocco go for it, a riding buddy of mine has a Morphine and it's crazy beefy, so the Scirocco should be a nice do-all machine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.