mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Looking for a rigid frame/fork that is burlier than a roadie

I'm looking for something that I can ride the roads with as well as light trail riding/commuting. I'd like a fully rigid frame/fork that is lightweight and will take some wider smooth tires and disk brakes. Any suggestions?

Former Bike Wrench
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Salsa Fargo

That's a nice bike, but out of my price range for something that's not going to be my primary bike. I was thinking of maybe building one up with 2nd hand parts. I found a frame on Nashbar that is super cheap and I can get used components any number of places.

What do you think of this frame with a rigid fork? http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_173009_-1___

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You should talk with Nashbar and find out what fork they recommend pairing with it. The writeup doesn't give a suggested fork length. Without knowing the expected fork length, it will be tough to account for how it should handle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 3v1lD4v3
    You should talk with Nashbar and find out what fork they recommend pairing with it. The writeup doesn't give a suggested fork length. Without knowing the expected fork length, it will be tough to account for how it should handle.
    I think the geometry calls for a 100mm fork from what I've read elsewhere on this site. So I suppose I would need a 100mm suspension corrected rigid fork, no? I was thinking of an aluminum fork to save on weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd probably go with some Schwalbe Big Apple tires in 2.3. Those things look pretty badass.