mtbr member
    May 2007

looking for a new trail bike

Hey everyone, just looking for some suggestions here.

1) Your budget. About $6k
    2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? Ibis SL-R, Ibis HD, Santa Cruz Blur LTc, Pivot 5.7c.
    3) What type of riding do you intend to do? 90% of my riding is in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan. Some of these trails are XC, some have some decent climbing and descending (for midwest). I also go out to CO once or twice a year.. most favorite area is Crested Butte. No parks, rarely anything lift assisted, and no racing.
    4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension? Full
    5) Age, weight and height. 31, 175lbs with gear, 6'1''
    6) What sources will you consider buying from? There are no LBS within my area that sell the bikes I'm looking at. Therefore I can't really even demo... part of the reason why I'm here asking you guys.
    7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources? Sure.

I'm in the market for a new bike, coming off of a 2007 spec stumpy fsr. Some of you may have seen my other posts in the ibis and sc sub-forums. I'm looking for a fun bike. I don't race, and not one to ever go out and try to beat any previous times. I ride for fun and exercise. Not really interested in 29ers, but am interested in 27.5 (why I'm considering the HD which is probably overkill for my area.) I want something stiff, on the lighter side and just playful and fun to ride. I was dead set on an SLR, then the Blur, then the pivot... you see where this is going, I can't make up my mind! I'm sure I'll be happy with any of these, but I'm just looking for some opinions from those who have ridden any of these.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Jet 9 RDO end of discussion. I'm considering purchasing this bike and I live in Northern Indiana. I believe that all the bikes you listed are great bikes. Why not consider another Stumpy FSR?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sorry, didn't read your entire post about not interested in 29er

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yea... 29ers are just not my thing. I don't really want another stumpy because I'm looking for something different. It was a fine bike, but I just want something new, a little variety.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dude, if you are really going to drop $6 grand on your next bike plan a weekend and fly out to one of the mtb mecca areas and test ride all those on your list. From your post it sou da like a nice early April excursion to SoCal would be a treat.

Call the Path bike shop and a few others that cover the other brands. Shite, sleep I. Your rental car if you want to save some coin on a hotel. Beats buying the wrong $6k bike.