mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Looking for new FS XC Frame

Hello everyone,
    I'm new here, and trying to get back in to biking after a long layoff. I used to ride 6 days a week until kids, then took a long hiatus and now the kids are at an age and I am at a weight where it is time to get back on the bike. I've been riding a few times a week for the last few weeks and am quickly realizing a few things 1) I am out of shape (unless round is a shape) 2) the old saying "Its just like riding a bike, you never forget" is silly, because I forgot how to ride a bike (see the crutches next to my desk for referance) and 3) my old back needs a full suspension rig.
    So, Here I am , asking for some help with number 3-

I have a Trek 8900 SL now. Its a really nice bike IMO, with great components. The few components on it when I bought it that I didn't like, I have replaced- handlebars, stem, seat, grips. I see no need to replace components, but how much have frames changed in the last 6 years? Have bottom brackets changed? Aheadsets? The one problem that is pretty obvious to me is it seems that everything has gone longer travel, so my old SID probably will screw up the geometry of say a 4+ inch rear travel bike... is that right? What about my brakes? I was looking at frames and I saw that there is now a "International Disk Brake standard". I remember at the time, the two big brake manufacturers had different mounting options (Hayes and Maguara I believe), are my Hayes Brakes going to work on new bike X? Where should I start?
    With all that in mind (that I want to reuse as many components as possible) does anyone have any frame recommendations? I love my Trek, so I was looking at those. I also checked out the Santa Cruz's, they seem nice too. I ride mainly singletrack stuff, nothing super technical, but I want to get back in to riding harder. Living in the northeast, most of the stuff here is pretty rock infested and bumpy. I am 6' and 190 and lowering. I will most likely buy used, but I have plenty of time to wait for the right frame. I would like to keep it around $500-1000 if possible.
    Thanks anyone for the help.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rbreslin
    how much have frames changed in the last 6 years? Have bottom brackets changed? Aheadsets? The one problem that is pretty obvious to me is it seems that everything has gone longer travel, so my old SID probably will screw up the geometry of say a 4+ inch rear travel bike... is that right? What about my brakes? I was looking at frames and I saw that there is now a "International Disk Brake standard". I remember at the time, the two big brake manufacturers had different mounting options (Hayes and Maguara I believe), are my Hayes Brakes going to work on new bike X? Where should I start?
    New frames are still compatible with old components for the most part.

Most new cranksets use external bearing bottom brackets, but they use the same treads in the frame as before. There is a new BB30 system where the bottom bracket is pressed into the frame rather than threaded. This is still pretty new, and not present on many frames yet.

Some of the new frames have a tapered headtube (larger diameter at the bottom than top) but again, this is still pretty new, and not yet super popular.

An 80mm SID on a 4" frame is likely to feel somewhat unbalanced in terms of plushness. The steering will be very quick, twitchy perhaps, but I suppose there is a chance you might like it.

I'd be surprised if your Hayes brakes did not fit. What model are they? Pictures might be helpful.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the reply RKJ, I will get some pics up tonight.
    The Hayes were the first model they came out with, just the original ones, I don't think they had a fancy name yet. They came stock on the 8900SL that year.
    So I guess I most likely will be looking for a frame and fork it sounds like. Quick and twitch steering doesn't sound appealling to me at all.

There's no app for this.

is this it?

http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/B...8900&Type=bike

Your dilemma is that there are so many good bikes out there. I might suggest you check out local ads, maybe Craigslist and see if there is a good quality FS bike that has been well cared for and is for sale for not too much $. In the long run it might be cheaper just to do that, and keep the 8900 as a second ride.

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks Jim. I have been scouring Craigslist and E-bay for days... keeping the 8900 as a second bike is no option. I'm married with kids and collect enough stuff already. Its got to go, one way or the other.

There's no app for this.

just another thought...

while I am not familiar with them Ibex seems to offer some good value and since you know your way around bikes, fit and such is not an issue. this frameset is sold out for 2009, but I bet the 2010s are right around the corner....$599 gets you a good ride. http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-FRM-Details.html

Or if you're a bigger guy....http://wheelworld.com/product/kona-0...frame-6374.htm

good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    man, thanks Jim, that Kona looks sweet.

mtbr member
    If I was looking at used frames off Ebay I would probably look at the Giant NRS, Specialized Stumpjumper and Epic from the years 2003 and newer. You could easily swap the fork onto either the Epic or NRS since they used 80 mm forks. Heres an example of an NRS that might not sell for much money that comes with a non-standard Psylo
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-Giant-NRS-X...d=p3286.c0.m14

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    dang dude, come on, don't advertise to the world, I am the high bidder LOL.

thanks man, I appreciate it. Never rode a Giant, but heard good things.

There's no app for this.

What borregokid said...

I forgot about the 80mm fork, a bit short for the Dawg, IMO. Anyway, you'll find your ride, it's out there, just keep looking. As for the wife and the $ aspect? It's exercise equipment to keep you fit and sane, and a really good dad. Or you could threaten to take up an expensive sport like sailing

Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have already bit the bullet on the new fork. What about a SuperCaliber? I am not saying that there is one on EBay, because I don't want you ravens stealing my stuff, but I have been looking at one on Ebay, its a 2007. Pre-29" wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    If I was looking at used frames off Ebay I would probably look at the Giant NRS, Specialized Stumpjumper and Epic from the years 2003 and newer. You could easily swap the fork onto either the Epic or NRS since they used 80 mm forks. Heres an example of an NRS that might not sell for much money that comes with a non-standard Psylo
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-Giant-NRS-X...d=p3286.c0.m14
    My wife yelled at me and made me get to work in the yard with minutes left in that auction. I lost it by $10 or something.
    Anyway, I got a Trek Fuel, so I am off. Get ready for the slew of posts asking me how to put the dang thing together.